Bullet weight in LCR9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikld

Blackhawk
I have my name in at a couple dealers for a Ruger LCR 9 and am jes waitin'. I have 4 semi autos in 9mm with 3" to 5" bbls and have tried all ammo from 115 gr JHP to 147 gr JHP and T/C and know each gun has it's favorite and which works best in all 4 (124 gr. JHP over some Universal). I have looked on a few sites for testing the LCR but none of the reviews are conducted using 147 gr bullets, most are 115 and 125 JHP and FMJ, factory loads. So, has any one used 147 gr ammo, of any type or bullet design in their LCR 9mm? Results?

Thnx...

The only 147 grain bullets I've used are Federal HST hp's and CCI/Federal polymer jacket flat point. In my limited testing and studying the gel test results on a couple of other places, the HST is the only 147 grain hp that actually expands at 4" barrel velocities. The HST expands out to almost 1/2" frontal diameter while most of the others deform or rivet a little at the nose and that's all.
The polymer jacket flatnose is really impressive on steel swingers. It moves the steel significantly more than 115 FMJ at 25-50 yards.
My concern(and one the reasons I don't use 147 grain bullets in my CC pistol) is over penetration. IMHO If the user isn't comfortable with the 9mm 115/124 grain, a caliber that begins with "4" should be used.

mikld

Blackhawk
I just discovered I put this in the wrong sub-forum. Sorry. Mobuck did you shoot any in an LCR? I have a few 9mm loads with 124 gr. JHP (maybe 1,000 or so as I chose this weight bullet as the best for all my 9mm shooting) and have about 500 "JIC" rounds. Most of the reviews/tests of the LCR9 I've seen shows very good performance with 124-125 gr jacketed bullets.

BTW; my perferred carry is a 45ACP, I have 2, 38 Special snubbies, 2, 9mm "pocket pistols" and 9 other assorted handguns, but I want an LCR and I think it will fit in my JIC arsenal...

Thanks for moving my OOPS!

unionprez

Single-Sixer
I carried an LCR 9mm for several years and I liked it a lot. The most accurate round at 7 to 9 yards was the Federal HST in 147 grain for me.

mikld

Blackhawk
So, has any one used 147 gr ammo, of any type or bullet design in their LCR 9mm? Results?

Well, all I wanted was some feedback from LCR9 owners/shooters as I already know how 147gr factory loads work in my Masada, Ruger LC9s, FMK, and Tokerev. Plus there are hundreds of 147 gr 9mm SD loads "tests" online and 99% are for carry guns/semi-autos. Just curious about performance in a 1.875" bbl revolver...

mikld

Blackhawk
unionprez said:
mikld,
I gave you my experience with 147 grain HST's and that was with an LCR 9mm.
Thanks, I appreciate your experience. I have several revolvers and 2 snubbies in 38 Special but I kinda like what I've read/seen about the 9mm LCR so I want to try one for myself. Seen good reviews with meat target and gel testing with 115 and 124 gr bullets, but found nothing about 147 gr 9mm ammo.

Sometimes I don't appreciate immediate thread drift for an obviously simple question. I asked for short bbl revolver/ammo experience and immediately got a reply for ammo in a 4" semi-auto, and a "follow up" reply that the information was applicable. Quite common on forums; aquestion on "XXX specific..." is asked and thread drift comes up with "ZZZ is..." no connection to original threas subject...