GP100 Wiley Clapp II ??? Added some Pictures

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was looking over what is available on http://www.grabagun.com and they have a Wiley Clapp GP100 II. It's stainless with a 3 inch barrel.

BUT, I don't see this model on ruger's website. What gives? I think it's a Talo distributor exclusive. Is that correct?

Does anyone know anything about this model? Is the Wiley Clapp II any different than the first Wiley Clapp GP100? Or did they just do another run of them?

I ask, because it's awfully tempting....

edited: And shoot....I went to the grocery store and now it's out of stock. :evil:

To be clear, it isn't the SP101, nor is it the 10mm version. They (grabagun) states it's a 6 shot 357.

Link: https://grabagun.com/ruger-gp100-wiley-clapp-ii-stainless-357-mag-3-barrel-6-rounds.html

The stainless Wiley Clapp II comes up as model #1789

Researching the previous release of this revolver, it was originally a square grip and 6 round capacity. The Wiley Clapp II version has a round grip and 7 round capacity. That's not to say the previous releases weren't also available with a round grip and/or 7-round cylinder.

I can't keep up with the releases, or the differences, when there are any.

And there are so many special editions across Ruger's product line, often their own website can't keep up.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail?itemno=RUKGPF-321-7

http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/wiley-clapp-gp100-ss-refresh-1789

Yes, there are a lot of different variants. I'm glad I'm not trying to collect one of each.

But, this gun just showed up again as in stock, so I ordered one. I'll post some pictures when it comes. The nice thing about Grab A Gun, is they are about 7 or 8 miles away, and you can choose local pickup. I've ordered from them before, they are pretty easy to deal with.

By the way, Wayno, thanks for pointing out the discrepancy of the 6 vs 7 shot. I didn't see that before.

So I did order the gun, and it came in. Here are some pictures. It's nice, very nice. I've got a 3 1/2 inch SP101, and this GP100 is noticeably more bulky. I wouldn't want to carry it, but it handles very well and the sights are easy to pick up. I'm sure it will be very fun to shoot.

It is new, and test fired at the factory. They sure left it dirty. My question is, what is the red paint from? Any how many times do they test fire a gun?
Here are some pictures, see for yourself. I haven't fired it at all.

But the sights are wonderful, and the trigger, at single action is very light. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but I bet it's less than 4 pounds, probably right around 3. Then, in Double Action, it isn't that heavy, just long with the normal double action feel.

a68ogavl.jpg

yDjhQ6dl.jpg

And while the inserts are nice, they aren't the Wiley Clapp Inserts I've seen on other reviews about the Wiley Clapp GP100. I'm not that disappointed really. Yesterday, I ordered a set of Badger boot grips for the GP100.

wt9fVBxl.jpg

It is indeed 7 shots.

St6BdaKl.jpg

I wish the rear sight has a white outline around the notch.

mlsQb1wl.jpg

What is the red paint from?

Ux4riwvl.jpg

I believe this revolver is the best compromise of geometry and dimensions. I still carry a 2-3/4" Security Six, and don't feel it's bulky at all. This GP100 is quite similar. 8) It's also highly attractive.

Thanks for the photos.

Sugar River:
Thanks, I didn't know this.

And yes, WAYNO, you are right, the dimensions of this gun are just about right. I have a 6 inch GP100, and it's a joy to shoot but really heavy. I'm excited to take them out to the range and compare side by side.

I just watched a Hickock 45 video about him really enjoying 3 inch revolvers. They seem just about the right weight and everything.