OM SBH without "Inc" on the barrel: it has arrived!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I just read in a Classified ad here that apparently some Old Model Super Blackhawks were built using barrels that don't have the "Inc." in the barrel rollmark well after the official change.

Is this actually an interesting variation, or just a minor footnote? I recently committed to the purchase of a 1966 OM SBH which does not have "Inc" on the barrel. Is this a "Woo Hoo"! Or a "Huh."

Rob

Threads merged 6/23 . . . Moderator

contender

Ruger Guru
There weren't any "inc" marked barrels in the early years of the OM Supers. There is an overlapping of guns/serial numbers where there are "inc" & "non-inc" barrels in the era around 1966 & 1967.
From the RENE;
"S47 with 1/8" serial numbers. aluminum alloy rear sight, half round ejector rod, & non "inc" barrel address. Known serial number range 14544 to 31560." Probably just over 10,000 of this variety produced."
"S47with 1/8" numbers, and an "inc" barrel address without the eagle logo. Known s/n's & serial number range 15947 and 17945 to 24187. About 6000 of this variety made."

The really best way to understand the possible true variations is to subscribe to the RENE & also get their Reference Guide. it's INVALUABLE for it's info.
That's the best way to quickly learn if you have a "Ok" or a "Woo-Hoo" gun!

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
One person's "OMG IT'S RARE" is another person's "meh". :wink:
If the person that acquired this gun is the "meh" He can then find the person that want's this gun, a "OMG IT'S RARE" person, and then he can get the "RARE" price which will change him from being a "meh" to a very happy "OMG IT'S RARE" person!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Bought/won this 1966 Ruger Super Blackhawk a couple of weeks ago and it just arrived. It came as a "lot" including the gun, box, papers, "small parts" and holster. Seems like a nice overall package. Note that the auction only pictured the revolver and nothing else.

The revolver seems nearly perfect. There is one blemish on the cylinder and other than that I don't see any issues (aside from the conversion, of course). The barrel is one that says only "STURM, RUGER & CO." with no "INC.".

ruger_om_sbh_left.jpg

ruger_om_sbh_right.jpg

ruger_om_sbh_box.jpg

As expected due to the listing saying "small parts", the SBH has been converted. It is very interesting to me that I got not only the replaced parts, but also a "Conversion" manual, a typed information sheet and the original invoice for the work done over the Summer of 1982!

ruger_om_sbh_conversion.jpg

Note that the invoice says the gun was received in late June, unboxed in early August and returned to the owner in early September! Slow turnaround is nothing new.

As hoped, the included holster IS one of the Ruger/Bianchi flap holsters. A little dirty, a little verdigris on the latch, but in good shape otherwise. This SBH must not have spent much, if any, time going in and out of this thing because there is no holster wear.

ruger_sbh_holster_front.jpg

ruger_sbh_holster_back.jpg

The hammer price was $750. When I got done with the premium, sales tax and shipping, it was close to $1000.

Rob

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I have finally received the gun in question!

Rob

Threads merged 6/23 . . . Moderator

hittman

Staff member
Great package to have!
No "Inc".
No Prefix.

… but holster is wrong-handed! :lol:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I bought a Whitworth Express rifle in 375 H&H from RIA a while back. Came with the old Pachmayr "Lo Swing" mount. Hammer was about $650.00, have to say the total cost caught me a bit by surprise. I'm glad I got what I got but I'm a bit more conservative now.

Nice guns, and yes I know all too well how they (RIA) made out like bandits and the family got screwed,,,,BIG time,,,sad to see them get rid of all of BIlls guns at so LOW of prices,,bet he;s rolling over in his grave.....some of us offered the family almost double of what some of the guns sold for...sad really BUT good for the buyer of somethings so nice......would have loved to get back the SBH 6 1/2 in. "S" gun we sold them years ago and the new in box 10 1/2 inch 44 mag flatop with factory stag grips........ :roll:

"...and so it goes...." RIP Wil Terry and Bill E " appleman" and Don W. and Bob C. and "Tommygun" and on and on...... :(

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
Nice guns, and yes I know all too well how they (RIA) made out like bandits and the family got screwed,,,,BIG time,,,sad to see them get rid of all of BIlls guns at so LOW of prices,,bet he;s rolling over in his grave.....some of us offered the family almost double of what some of the guns sold for...sad really BUT good for the buyer of somethings so nice......would have loved to get back the SBH 6 1/2 in. "S" gun we sold them years ago and the new in box 10 1/2 inch 44 mag flatop with factory stag grips........ :roll:

(

I have to ask what the story is behind this?

well to keep it short and simple, former member here on the Forum BIll Y known as 'appleman' , was our dealer , as well as collector of Ruger firearm here in NE Ohio,,,set up at all the local shows especially the Medina county gun show,,,,passed away approx a year ago, daughters ( family) took over to help 'Mom, and had Rock Island auctions pick it all up his shop ( store inventory) as well as the personal collection well over 600 guns.....spread out the auctions, never noted that the collection was of Bills and there was some very rare guns to say the least,,,as I noted above tried to find , follow the auction I did note that Chad , the RENE had noted some of the guns per the RIA auction and results, but NOT specifically BIlls, as no one could know or find out and I am not "registered" on the RIA site but have heard from some that many of these "Lots' ( like OM Bearcat with an "S" gun in the lot of 4 guns, or the rare 6 1/2 inch OM S-46 that also was a one of TWO known "S" gun and they went for less money than we had some others offer the family for before any auction got in volved.........as well as my old 44 flatop like new in the box, 10 inch barrel with factory grips, and so forth ,on and on......needless to say sad really and bet Bill is rolling over...may he rest in Peace.... :(

on the other hand when Don W. passed away a few years ago, Locally the Don Rose auctions of Bowling Green,OH.,handled his estate and was told around to many other collectors, and the family did quite well with the results job well done, and properly too.......also Rest in Peace Don W..... :(
I could go on and on with others like the Gunrunners auctions, or Densmores auction in Madison,OH when it was "local" and live but I will let them REST on their own 'shortcomings" to be nice about it.....AUCTIONS?? caveat emptor baby
8) :roll: :?

well we must remember that they cater to the big wigs and high rollers, and the collections of those of "reknown, fame or position", even some of "glory"and who are we but middle of road users, owners of "blue collar" guns ala Ruger....I just note they do NOT "push, highlite" or even feature our guns,,,But again Bill had some rare , and usual Rugers, both LONG and short...enough said, I rest my case 8) :roll: :(

...and to 'teddydogno1' you got a NICE package there, good for YOU !! :wink:

hittman

Staff member
rugerguy said:
(RIA) made out like bandits and the family got screwed,,,,BIG time,,,,,

.....some of us offered the family almost double of what some of the guns sold for.….

Sounds to me like the family got exactly what they wanted and/or paid for.

I once had a "friend of a friend" referred to me who needed (for financial reasons) to sell a few guns. I made an offer and he was literally offended. Left here in a foul mood and told several how I'd low balled him.

A week later a local gun store called me saying they had a few guns I'd be interested in. Sure enough ….. it was the guns I'd already looked at. I bought the guns from that shop for the exact same money I'd offered the seller …. Except for one and it was $50 cheaper than my original offer.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
$750 doesn't seem like a big discount, is it worth more than $850 with the box and manual? All this silly inc, no inc doesn't mean much if your gonna shot it.

chet15

Hawkeye
The INC. address for the Super Blackhawk really didn't show up until about 80-10000. Just a case of a rollmark that had a long lifespan I suppose.
There was however a period of time in the non-prefix guns where Ruger used the barrel rollmark meant for the .41 Blackhawk (it doesn't have the eagle logo). These are found in the 15xxx to 24xxx range or so, and do have INC. in it... but again, it was a .41 rollmark they used in error.
Chet15

P89DC

Single-Sixer
600 guns isn't a collection, its a rich man's hoard. The expectation that the decedent's family should sift through the hoard to find individual guns some internet friend's favorite is silly. The hoarder spent a large sum of money on his "collection", maybe the family wanted to cash out and move on.

Claiming particular gun someone here wanted sold for half what they were prepared to offer seems false. Why didn't they buy it and run up the bidding to the gun's perceived value? Would have been the fair thing to do, right?