Before I chop it down, is it remotely collectible?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I bought a 7½" blued 44mag Super Blackhawk Bisley to cut down to 5½". Is it rare? 85-44xxx

Hint of a drag line, unfired.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Not sure if it is collectable or not , but to a collector , once any gun has been altered in any way that can not be easily reversed it will loose it's collectable value.

RSIno1

Hunter
If it's that nice it you might be $ ahead to sell it and buy the one you want. Then you'd have an original not a modified one.

gunzo

Buckeye
If it has a fluted cylinder it's a bit scarcer than a roll marked one.

Otherwise, it's just another 7.5" blue Bisley. Thousands made & a 5.5" blue Bisley SBH was not ever offered.

Making it your way will make it valuable, to You.

Cut it if you like, & enjoy.

Mine is a year newer but I'm not aware of any of those being collectible, in any way. I had mine cut down to 5-1/2" years ago. I prefer the slightly longer grip as well. Mine is stainless instead of blue, however very close to the serial numbers.

My thinking is that if going to cut it down, I'd probably do it to a beater or one that needs TLC because it'll be getting reblued anyway. I'm in the same boat except mines a 10.5" blued and when I got it, it turned out looking like a safe queen and in great shape. So I bought a beater in stainless 10.5" and now it's the project gun and the blued 10.5" will remain uncut.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
The cylinder is fluted. Every 5½" stainless is going for silly prices and I'm always outbid. And the sellers on gunbroker.com are cranking in extra fees on desirable guns along with sales tax. Everything local is priced through the roof. A 44mag Bisley Hunter is $1300. A beat up 357 old model from 1971 is $650.

I had a Bisley Hunter but I sold it to my friend instead of cutting it down.

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't anything special. Thanks for the confirmation.

Its gonna get chopped. Then maybe a Ronnie Wells "Potato Judge" brass grip frame.

Sounds like a great plan. Be sure to shoot it a few times first to determine if there's anything else you'd like done to it. It'll be a great opportunity to make it into one of your best guns ever.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I had Bowen cut an OMSBH barrel to 5.5". Much better to handle and with the usual Bowen touches is a real looker too.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I had a serial #27 .41 NMBH in 6" that I wanted to cut down to 4.5", but sold instead for going market price. Now it's gone forever, and I regret selling it. In short, just do it.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
P89DC said:
The cylinder is fluted. Every 5½" stainless is going for silly prices and I'm always outbid. And the sellers on gunbroker.com are cranking in extra fees on desirable guns along with sales tax. Everything local is priced through the roof. A 44mag Bisley Hunter is $1300. A beat up 357 old model from 1971 is $650.

I had a Bisley Hunter but I sold it to my friend instead of cutting it down.

I just wanted to be sure it wasn't anything special. Thanks for the confirmation.

Its gonna get chopped. Then maybe a Ronnie Wells "Potato Judge" brass grip frame.
I had no idea, I have a pair with consecutive serial numbers. I use then for cowboy action shooting.

DHD

Single-Sixer
Yeah, cut that thing to whatever barrel length you want. The PJ from RDW is a nice gripframe and even nicer when you get a set of grips from him. 4 of his gripframes/grips have made there way here somehow.

There's something to having your revolvers made just the way you want them. Of course a 7.5" Super is pretty nice too.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Now that is in-hand I'm wavering. Its really nice. My first blued firearm and I'm surprised how much i like it.

The cold blue solution arrives today. I haven't rented the barrel facer.....yet.

Rclark

Hunter
My first blued firearm and I'm surprised how much i like it.
Yep. Blued revolvers are the cat's meow. I always felt the Stainless looks like it just left the factory unfinished :D . Don't get me wrong the SS revolvers I have shoot just as well as my blued, but prefer the blued. Enjoy and your choice to cut it down or not!

P89DC

Single-Sixer
montana outfitters said:
YOU HACK IT UP IT'S YOURS FOREVER EVEN IF THEY MAKE 5 1/2 INCH BBLS IT'S BEEN BUBBAED AND VALUE CRASHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't you worry your little caps locked fingers over it. No matter what happens you'll never touch or see it..... :)

Latest posts