custom revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A few years ago, I had a revolver customized by David Clements and I've now have the itch to have a single six customized. I just went to Clements's website, and it looks like he is still working. Anyway, I sent him an email to see if he has the time.

But who else is still doing custom work on revolvers? I did a quick internet search, and there are lots and lots of gunsmiths to make you tactical this and that. But the art form of the custom revolver seems to be slacking off.

I sent Bobby Tyler and email also, asking about their services, and I did get a reply. I guess I'm going to have to call them and ask for more information.

But is there any other people doing this type of work?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
[email protected] (converts Bearcats to 327 and CCH Rugers)
Magnolia, Texas, north of Houston
Recommendations here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=249804
Does some of Alan Harton's CCH work (which I really like), and he has built a 327 Bearcat, and flutes the cyl.

Ben Forkin - Forkin Custom Classics
PO Box 444, 205 10th Ave SW
White Sulphur Springs, MT 59645
406-547-2344
mailto:[email protected]

Alan Harton (now only works on Colt SAAs)
713-772-8314 or 713-907-6031
[email protected]
Sharpstown, Texas, West S/W of Houston
Makes a .327 Fed Mag Bearcat; http://www.gunblast.com/Harton-327Bearcat.htm

Andy Horvath - DIAGONAL ROAD GUN SHOP
14131 Diagonal Rd.
La Grange, OH 44050
(440) 458-4369, (440) 355-5618

Jack Huntington (may start barrel re-boring)
JRH Advanced Gunsmithing
775-355-6898
385 Freeport Blvd, Suite 13
Sparks, NV 89431
mailto:[email protected]
New website: http://www.jrhadvancedgunsmithing.com
old site: http://www.jrhgunmaker.com/
His turnaround time is short, his work is first rate, and his prices are reasonable.

Ten Ring Precision in San Antonio, TX
Address: 1449 Blue Crest Ln, San Antonio, TX 78232
Phone: (210) 494-3063

Long Hunter
Amarillo, TX
http://www.longhunt.com/web/
Sounds like a nice package for $135.
Taper cylinder and ejector rod housing $45.00 USD – This page:
http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php?page=models-ruger-vaquero-blackhawk-bisley

Oglesby & Oglesby Gunmakers
Bill Oglesby
744 W Andrew Road
Springfield, IL 62707-4626
Phone: (217) 487-7100
Cool video: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oglesby-Oglesby/166638046696474

Ryan Ross
[email protected].

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Back in 2015 I had Cylinder & Slide do some custom work on a super redhawk that I had. They did a really fantastic job on it, but they have a very long wait list before you can send them your firearm.

Hondo! Thank you so much! I've not seen a list like that for custom gun smiths. As I said, a lot of gunsmiths these days work on semi-autos and those just seem all the same.

I will definitely keep this list for future reference. But, as it turns out, I emailed David Clements and he replied right away and said send the gun into him and he will look it over and give me some recommendations.

Well, so I did that! He should have it Friday.

I'm not too sure what I'm wanting, besides the color case hardened frame. I asked him about possibly putting a bisley grip frame on it. And a lanyard ring. I've always wanted a revolver with a lanyard on it.

Here's a picture of the revolver. I had it reblued several years ago, and the finish is actually pretty good. But then I bought one of 2dogs front sights, and it's too high. I never had anything done to it. So I'm hoping Clements can turn it into something special. We'll see. Hopefully it won't take a year and a half. :D

VVX7wuYl.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bowen is a master and does great work. Usually will only do "his" package that adds a lot of "fluff" parts though which really adds to the cost. And it takes forever.

Clements will make you happy. Look at his website for what options you like that he offers.

HAWKEYE#28 said:

Well, David Clements has my revolver and a partial wish list of what I'd like done, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet about everything. I don't want to rush him either, so I'll wait a while before calling him or anything.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Oglesby & Oglesby Gunmakers really does not work on guns. Bill now has a staff that is very slow. My boss dropped off a SBH just to mount his scope and it took 7 months. Not the same company any more.

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger Old Model Flattop at Powers Metal Works right now. John is converting it to a dual cylinder 10mm/.38 WCF, 5 inch barrel and a Ronnie Wells brass Bisley grip frame. It will be blue and CCH

I've been speaking with David Clements, he's checked out my gun and says it doesn't have any issues. It's going to be a while before he can get started on the gun though. But it's ok if it takes a while.

I wasn't shooting that gun anyway, because the front sight was not the correct height.

One positive thing this gun has going for it, it's got the magnum cylinder which is also fluted. It isn't the original mag cylinder, it came from another of my single sixes, but works just fine. I guess another plus for the gun is it's always been pretty accurate.

I'll make sure I report back on any progress. I'm sure the gun will be incredible when he's finished with it.

Rclark

Hunter
I bought one of 2dogs front sights, and it's too high
Well that's an easy solution. Pull out the file and go to work. Easy peasy. It is when sight is to short that there is a problem.... :) .

Anyway be interesting how it turns out!

I just talked with Clements today. The gun should be ready by the end of the year.

A few interesting comments he made:
There are no small frame bisley hammers available. I had wanted a Bisley grip frame but also, there are only stainless steel Bisley hammers available. This would clash with the color case hardened frame. He was also talking about how it's difficult to get parts from Ruger right now.

So he's going to put on a steel grip frame, one of the thinner, smaller grip frames from the new model flat tops. Also a steel ejector rod housing to match.

The front sight will be a one piece and soldered in place. Then some figured walnut grips.

He said the gun test fired very well, and the barrel cylinder gap was nice and tight. He commented several times how this is one of the nicer single six revolvers he's seen in a while and all in all, the gun looks good and should turn out nice when done.

Above all Clement's wants a good shooting gun to start with. After all he says, why put all the work into a gun that doesn't shoot? Yes, he's right.

I wanted a lanyard ring, but he didn't have anything nice to say about them. So I passed on that. He said they are big and bulky and it would just look out of place on the smaller single six.

Latest posts