What is a realistic fair price for a .357 Max BH?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
I've wanted one for a while as I already have a Contender barrel in the caliber. Get sticker shock when I see one. I guess they are not going to suddenly go down in price. A semi-local shop has one and is listed at $1450 iirc. May have a box, may not (owner wasn't there and the weekend guys don't seem to know much about anything unless it is written on the tag). It looks like it is in very good condition, cosmetically anyway. Is this a low, high or average local shop price?

If "we" decide it is a GO FOR IT situation, what things should be checked in particular on a Max? Flamecutting? Obviously bore and cylinder condition. Timing, rotation and lockup. All the normal used gun stuff. But what in particular should a Ruger Max buyer look for?

Thanks.

Rob

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
Look for flame cutting on the underside of the top strap just behind the barrel stub. A little is common and won't be much of an issue. If it is more than a little, I'd pass unless a steep discount.

Value depends on barrel length and original accessories. The 10" usually brings a little more than the 7.5".

$1450 seems high.

hittman

Staff member
A recent one on Gun Broker, 7.5 inch MINT with really nice original box, owners manual, etc. brought $1100.00.

$1400.00 seems WAY high to me unless there's something special about it we don't know.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I,as a collector,,, would like to see the prices of those guns in the $1400-$1500 range,, that is too high for the current market.

Now,, if it's a RARE one,, like one of the ultra rare stainless ones, or a 1 digit or 2 digit serial number,, I'd say a used one, shooter grade in the $800-$900 range.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I was thinking it was too high. I did check GB sold auctions and see plenty that have sold well under $1k.

Rob

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Haven't had any luck on Gunbroker to find out some prices, but curious about the going $ for a 10.5 inch in very good condition, with a box.

I think like everything including lumber at Home Depot, most prices are going up. I went to one gun store last week…lots of polymer guns, only the expensive polymer guns. Not very many revolvers at all, actually none that I could find.

Coogs

Maximum
I'd say $850 to as much as $1,295.00.......I see them ASKING the high price......but most of the time not getting it.......sometimes. JMHO.........Don't happen to have the full serial number for me? Just shoot me a PM if your willing to share, Thanks, Jack.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
FWIW, I just sold a 10.5" in really nice condition, with box, instructions, warranty card and shipper for $1200.

Latest posts