3 DIGIT SERIAL NUMBER PREFIX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Will the newer single action revolvers with 3 digit serial number prefix handle the same heavy loads as revolvers with the 2 digit serial number prefix? Thank you in advance with any reference or info that would answer my question.

hittman

Staff member
Why would a serial number change hint to a change in the manufacturing process of the entire gun?

Does this mean those made before prefixes were added are stronger?
And guns made before serial numbers were required were stronger than those?

NikA

Buckeye
If I recall correctly, the answer is generally that guns with a 3 digit prefix are built on the midsized New Model frame, and so at least the ones in .45 Colt won't handle the Tier 3 Ruger Only loads.

I'm sure someone will be along in a bit to elaborate further.

hittman, while I appreciate your sarcasm, blocks of serial numbers and changes to which S/N block is used are often used to designate a manufacturing change.

hittman

Staff member
No sarcasm intended. Seems illogical to assume one subject (serial numbers) is related to the other (manufacture); of a current production firearm.

the question was to the "newer" SINGLE ACTIONS, so the Red hawk does not fall into that catagory........
and yes the newer Blackhawks built on the medium frame are NOT as strong for the hot, what used to be called "Ruger loads", such as the 45 LC.......that series of single action is dimensionally smaller overall......too much other info to type in a forum reply.............as often noted over the years "Read the manual...." 8) :roll:

......"and so it goes...." RIP Wil Terry :wink:

NikA

Buckeye
hittman said:
No sarcasm intended. Seems illogical to assume one subject (serial numbers) is related to the other (manufacture); of a current production firearm.

A serial number is a record of a manufactered item. A significant change in serial number scheme would often indicate a change in manufacturing specifics.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
hittman said:
Why would a serial number change hint to a change in the manufacturing process of the entire gun?

Does this mean those made before prefixes were added are stronger?
And guns made before serial numbers were required were stronger than those?
Yes those are my questions and better worded. Thank you. Basically are the Blackhawks with the serial number having 2 digits before the hyphen and then the remaining serial number digits capable of handling stronger loads than the Blackhawks with 3 digits then the hyphen and remaining serial numbers? I am not knowledgeable about Ruger manufacturing processes and I am asking those that know. Thanks for your reply.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
NikA said:
If I recall correctly, the answer is generally that guns with a 3 digit prefix are built on the midsized New Model frame, and so at least the ones in .45 Colt won't handle the Tier 3 Ruger Only loads.

I'm sure someone will be along in a bit to elaborate further.

hittman, while I appreciate your sarcasm, blocks of serial numbers and changes to which S/N block is used are often used to designate a manufacturing change.
Thank you very much Nika! You answered my question! And yes to others, not Nika, I do know manufacturer changes are often designated in serial number changes and I appreciate your assistance in your response! Thanks Again!

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
crstrode said:
I guess that means my 3-digit SN prefix Redhawk 44magnum can now only shoot 44 specials.
Please note my question was in regard to SINGLE ACTIONS and even though I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night I do know that my Redhawk is a double action and I fail to understand how a Redhawk with 44 magnum stamped on it is only chambered for 44 SPECIAL! MAYBE THIS Ruger Forum has changed. The forum members I remember never considered anyone's legitimate question to be a chance to try to be a comedian or sarcastic whether it was my question or someone's question that did seem a little out there. Everyone was always very respectful and helpful to all and especially didn't respond about double actions when the question was only about single actions. And even though I didn't get to stay in the Holiday Inn Express last night even poor ignorant me knows my Redhawk can handle the heaviest of loads.
Thank you for supplying me with a thoughtful prudent helpful answer.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
the question was to the "newer" SINGLE ACTIONS, so the Red hawk does not fall into that catagory........
and yes the newer Blackhawks built on the medium frame are NOT as strong for the hot, what used to be called "Ruger loads", such as the 45 LC.......that series of single action is dimensionally smaller overall......too much other info to type in a forum reply.............as often noted over the years "Read the manual...." 8) :roll:

......"and so it goes...." RIP Wil Terry :wink:
Thank you Rugerguy! You were very helpful!

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
hittman said:

I don't understand how I was illogical. I didn't assume anything. I asked a legitimate question BECAUSE I didn't know for sure.
I may be wrong but to me it seems very clear the one subject (serial numbers) is DIRECTLY related to the other (manufacture) in then newest production SINGLE ACTIONS in 45 Colt as the manufacturer 3 digit serial numbers designate smaller frames. In my original question I admit I should have specified 45 Colt Blackhawks as all of my single actions are custom 45 Colt Blackhawk, Bisley Vaquero 45 Colt, Birdshead 45 Colt. And even if my question was illogical I was seeking the knowledge to not be illogical. I was on the forum many times daily from the time I joined this forum through December 2016 at which time taking care of my 81 year old father (at that point) until his death and my 80 year old mother at that point to this day who will soon be 85 became a full time job as I refused to put them in an institution. I was beginning to enjoy being on the forum again. I always remember your post as helpful to me and to others go back to pre 2016 and read them. Since I started looking at the forum again I saw another of your posts that I thought was rude to someone and I was like dang I don't ever remember him that way and was kinda shocked. Anyway life is short. I made a thoughtless post one time I thought may have hurt someone on a sale and I vowed to never do that again. I went online admitted my mistake and apologized publicly on the forum. I even offered to pay any loss the seller may have due to my actions. I am here to learn and enjoy and to not have to defend myself and legitimate questions

Status
Not open for further replies.