Help Support Ruger Forum:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I've had my LCR9 for several years now and have shot +P ammo thru
it now and then and carry the Critical Duty 135Gr +P in it. I read an
article about the LCR9 and in it, it said they did not recommend +P
because the manual doesn't ok it. I looked at my manual and sure'nuff
it does not say anything about +P ammo being used. My question is
this: Can you or can you not use +P in the LCR9mm?
Thanks
Dano

hittman

Staff member
I too would call Ruger to be sure. Strange they don't mention the 9mm +P at all. They mention it in other calibers.

From the manual . . .

"The RUGER® LCR® chambered in 9mm Luger is only compatable with the 9mm
Luger cartridge. Do not use any other 9mm cartridges (9mm Short, 9mm
Bergmann, etc.). RUGER® LCR® revolvers are designed for use with
cartridges of the correct caliber which are manufactured in accordance with the
U.S. Industry Standards. Be certain to use proper cartridges of the correct caliber."

FWIW, SAAMI does recognize 9MM+P ammo . . . from Wikipedia . . .

Std Pressure 35,000 PSI

+P Pressure 38,500 PSI

It would be interesting to get Ruger's official word on this, for sure.

Interestingly enough, maximum pressure for .357 is 35,000PSI and there is no SAAMI spec .357+P. :shock:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I found the article, it was from Massad Ayoob and in it he states that he didn't
recommend +P even though he used them and had for years without any
problems. That's what I've been doing and probably will continue to do. It does
make one wonder though. I practice with standard pressure ammo and
shoot a cylinder or 2 of +P in one of my drills then load up the +P for carry so
it's not a regular diet. Some have suggested that it's due to jumping crimp.
This may be so but I've never had a case of jumping crimp with the LCR9.
Something I can't say is true of the S&W 340PD I had. It would jump crimp
some even in .38 Special. Rugers are all over built and tough as nails anyway
so it'll just be a case of curiosity more than any thing else.
Thanks for the input.
Dano

bookemdano said:
I found the article, it was from Massad Ayoob and in it he states that he didn'trecommend +P even though he used them and had for years without any
problems. That's what I've been doing and probably will continue to do. It does
make one wonder though. I practice with standard pressure ammo and
shoot a cylinder or 2 of +P in one of my drills then load up the +P for carry so
it's not a regular diet. Some have suggested that it's due to jumping crimp.
This may be so but I've never had a case of jumping crimp with the LCR9. Dano

Yep, Ruger addresses this possibility in the Manual . . .

"Also note that some ammunition may not securely crimp the bullet in the cartridge. An improperly crimped bullet will move forward in the cartridge. This will only become an issue if the round moves forward enough to protrude out of the front of the cylinder. Should this happen, the cylinder will not be able to index to fire as the nose of the bullet will hit the outside of the barrel or frame. Should this happen, discontinue use of that particular brand or type of ammunition."

"Due to the light weight of the LCR® , inertial forces to ammunition during firing could possibly unseat a bullet from its crimp in the cartridge casing. The LCR® has been tested with a variety of popular ammunition manufactured to SAAMI industry standards and has not demonstrated any tendency to unseat bullets. However, before placing the LCR into service, it is recommended that you: 1. At a range or other suitable location, fully load your revolver with the ammunition you wish to test in accordance with the safety and loading instructions in this manual. 2. Fire four of the five rounds in accordance with the safety and firing instructions in this manual. 3. Unload the four fired cases and the unfired round in accordance with the safety and unloading instructions in this manual. Closely inspect the unfired round for signs that the bullet has moved forward out of the case. For jacketed and lead bullets with a cannelure or crimp groove, check to see if the bullet has moved forward enough so that the case mouth is no longer located in the bullet cannelure or crimp groove. For lead bullets without a cannelure or crimp groove, there should be no detectable movement of the bullet. If the bullet has moved as just described, do not use that brand of tested ammunition, and repeat this test with another brand until one is found that the bullet does not unseat during this test. 4. After the test is completed, unload and store the revolver in accordance with the safety and storage instructions in this manual."

NVSeabee

Bearcat
The LCR 9 is built on the 357 frame. I do most of my practice with standard 9mm but occasionally shoot +p. My meat ammo in 9mm is Rem Golden Saber 124 gr+p or Federal HST 124 gr+p. It is stout shooting +p but not abusive.