Ruger Old Model .45 with round top like a Vaquero UPDATE #2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Anyone see one like that? I just won an auction lot for 2 Ruger Old Model revolvers (and likely overpaid a little at least). Both are Old Model Blackhawks.

The first is one I've wanted for a while...a .30 Carbine. Seems to be in very good condition, but no box or extras. About 1972/3 (last year for OM, right?).

The second is the OM .45 that looks like a Vaquero. Custom work, or something else? Thought it was interesting too and I don't currently have a .45 Ruger. Should be from 1971.

Won't have them in hand for a couple of weeks probably.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/2042/853/two-ruger-blackhawk-single-action-revolvers

Rob

hittman

Staff member
Custom work on the 45.

Those 30 Carbines are a ton of fun to shoot too.

hittman said:
Custom work on the 45.

Maybe a year or two ago, someone had a custom 9-1/2" Single-Six in the Classifieds here. I don't recall any specifics (i.e. Old Model vs. NewModel, etc.), other than it had the frame welded up into a Vaquero-style topstrap.

I was quite taken with it, though it was out of my price range at the time.

That Single-Six is the first thing I thought of, when I read your description.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Those were not uncommon in the pre Vaquero days; make custom fixed sight frame versions to look like the Colt single action army. We saw more of them on the 357 model with it's medium size frame, closer to the SAA size and feel. Often with a larger caliber conversion as well. Yours doesn't appear to have a rear sight groove notch milled in however. But easy to add for a smith with a mill at little cost. Front sight looks well done, that's the more difficult task.

While it still had the adjustable rear sight, someone cranked the elevation screw down too far or used a too long screw and scratched the cyl.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Uncle Howie said:
hittman said:
Custom work on the 45.

Maybe a year or two ago, someone had a custom 9-1/2" Single-Six in the Classifieds here. I don't recall any specifics (i.e. Old Model vs. NewModel, etc.), other than it had the frame welded up into a Vaquero-style topstrap.

I was quite taken with it, though it was out of my price range at the time.

That Single-Six is the first thing I thought of, when I read your description.

Single sixes were not typically welded up but of course there may be one or 2 out there. For a short production run (1989 - 1994, Ruger made the Single Six in a Vaquero style round top frame w/o the windage-adjustable-only rear sight. That's most likely what you saw.

Here are two similar to that model but are distributor exclusive versions with simulated case colored frame and special grips. The standard models had all blue finishes and standard wood grips. A 9 1/2" version was not catalogged, which doesn't mean some were not made. Or a barrel swap to a standard model fixed sight Single Six 9 1/2" barrel is simple compared to welding up the sight dovetail and re-bluing the gun.

vacsinglesix001.jpg

The Ruger fixed sight Vaquerito in .32 Mag was a standard production model with vaquero type rd top strap, hence the name.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
The 2 OM BHs arrived at the dealer this week and I got to visit and sign for them. Won't come home for around 2 weeks.

The Custom Vaquero seems pretty well done, but was either poorly finished after the metalwork was done, or needed touchup afterward as there appear to be spots of cold blue on the frame. Or maybe the welding of the topstrap left it in a state to not take bluing cleanly. Plenty of little dings and scratches on it, but nothing super major noticed in my 10 minute exam. The top strap notch DOES go through and leave a trough for a sight picture. There's actually a little extra groove in that area that may be part of the original rear sight base pocket. The hammer draw and trigger are super smooth and slick. This gun seems to have been used quite a bit after the work was done. Should make a great shooter! I did take off the grips hoping to find some marking indicating who did the customization, but there was nothing on the grip frame. Maybe on the frame itself, but that will have to wait until it is home.

The auction listing mentioned that it came with a second set of grips, but did not picture them. They are a non-factory set of light-colored wood that looks like birdseye maple. They are actually pretty handsome. Will have to see how they look on the gun. Not sure how I feel about the faux ivories on it now.

The 30 Carbine OM is in very nice shape. Nothing negative to note at all, unless is the the paint dabbed onto the front sight. I Looking forward to touching this thing off. I have never before noticed that 30 Carbine guns have a groove in the cylinder back face about the center of the cartridge rims. I presume this is to allow some purchase to get at the rim recess on a cartridge case, if needed.

Both are un-modified 3-screw guns I believe. Certainly neither has a transfer bar in place. I think I need to disassemble to see if they were "upgraded" then downgraded again (?). But neither has any hint of an odd feeling hammer draw that I've read about for altered and returned OMs.

Rob

Back in 2009 at the NRA Show Joe Bowman came over to our booth with his 'Rig' on and visited with us showing his Blackhawks he machined down to be like the Vaqueros. They displayed great workmanship.
He also talked to Don Findley, Carl Laco & my self about the time he met with Bill Ruger & showed them to him Joe said Bill was impressed and had a couple Ruger designers & Sale's come look them over. A short time later the Ruger Vaqueros' came out. If I could post pictures I would post the picture of Joe, Donnie & Myself in the 'Ruger 50 years of the Super Blackhawk' booth in Phoenix AZ.
The picture was about a month or two before Joe Bowman passed away.

jgt

Buckeye
When Alan Horton did my O.M. into a Vaquero, he advised me to have it color case hardened at Turnbull, because of the welding on the frame. So I let him. Another one I purchased used on line was blued and seemed to show no signs of not taking the blue. It has not been used much though and may show up later. Both look like factory guns to the untrained eye. Both mine are 44 specials. The blued one is still marked "357" on the frame. Alan remarked the one he did.

Teddydogno1

Single-Sixer
Brought the guns home this weekend and finally got a chance to take a good look. Here's some pics...

ruger_om45_vaqalike_right.jpg

ruger_om45_vaqalike_top.jpg

In the first pic, you might notice my first surprise. Note the very small gap at the back of the cylinder for headspace. When I was checking the cylinder, I noticed it had electro-penciled SNs on it that do not match the gun. And short chambers! I don't have a .45 Colt here in the office, but a .45 ACP fits right in there. This gun only has a .45 ACP cylinder! Not what I was expecting.

And look at the "custom" fixed-sight topstrap. The top groove is shallow and not very well centered! The sight picture is quite "minimal" and the gun will likely shoot low. So much for hoping to get an expensive custom Ruger! Lol. All on me, though there was at least one other guy out there who wanted these almost as much as I did!

Here are the extra grips that came with the gun. I think they are Birdseye Maple. Or is there some other "birdseye" wood that looks like this? Seem to be "custom" as well and fit the gun OK. Pretty slim in the hand, too.

ruger_om_maple_grips.jpg

I don't have much to say about the .30 Carbine gun as it held no surprises that I could see. Just a nice gun almost as old as I am!

Looking forward to shooting them both.

Rob

Latest posts