Super Blackhawk vs Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Other than cartridge (e.g., 44Mag vs 45Colt) and sometimes grip frame, is there any real difference between the Blackhawk and the Super Blackhawk? I'm thinking there isn't any difference at all (and I've never noticed any). I was just wondering because over the years I've let my Super Blackhawks go and now I noticed it's been a little under-represented in my collection.

yes, the Super is a bit larger overall and the grip frame obviously larger, longer and the barrels are usually 7 1/2 in...later in th e new models they made a Super with the shorter barrels and the smaller grip frame like the BLackhawks, and a 5 1/2 in barrel. the 44 magnum needs the larger, beefier cylinder frame for the pressures.......
thus , they are NOT quite "the same"....... 8) :roll: :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's correct. 7 1/2" & 10" 1/4" have the 1/4" longer Dragoon grip frame. The 3/3/4", 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" have the standard XR3-Red size grip frame of all other ruger SAs except the Bearcats. NM Flat Tops, and New Vaqueros (unless of course the grip is a birdshead or Bisley.)

The New Model Super Blackhawk and large frame Blackhawk cyl frames are the exact same size when measured.

However they are both slightly more robust in thickness of the top strap than the Old Model Super Blackhawk and large frame Blackhawk cyl frames.

Hope that helps,

Thanks for the explanation! This is helpful because it explains why I was not in love with a 5.5-inch Super Blackhawk model ten years ago, but I guess that's because it had a smaller grip frame, but at the time I was judging it based on its paper thin factory grip panels (which I did not think to swap out at the time... live and learn!). Now that I know the grip frame on the longer-barreled versions is the full size grip frame, that will guide my decision since I prefer larger grips. I guess I was confusing it because I have an original model Vaquero in 45 Colt with a Blackhawk style grip frame that feels full-sized, I guess, and the grip panels on it fit my New Model Blackhawk 357 Mag and my New Model Single Six 22.

The same grip panels on the original Vaquero perfectly fit the Blackhawk 357Mag (stainless, shown second) and the Single Six (blued, shown last).

So the grips shown in my pics are not the same as a current-production Super Blackhawk 5.5"? Are these the same as the current 7.5" Super Blackhawk or is it larger?

gunzo

Buckeye
The grip size for New Model BH's(excluding most NM flattops & New Vaqueros) are the same a 5.5" or 4.62 Super.

The standard NM Super in 7.5" will like have the Dragoon type grip frame identified by the flat back trigger guard will have longer & slightly different shaped grip panel. Bisleys are obviously different in the grip.

New Model BH cylinder frames are the same basic dimensions for 44 mag & 45 Colt. Basic as in top strap width, thickness & cylinder window size. For instance; a very well fitted holster for a 5 1/2" Super will equally accommodate a 5 1/2" 45 Colt.

Rclark

Hunter
New Model BH cylinder frames { and cylinders } are the same ... dimensions for 44 mag & 45 Colt.
... And .357. Same, same, same.... Only the hole size in cylinder is different. Called the large frame. The NM flattops and New Vaqueros are on the medium frame. .44 Mag is only on the large frame (SBH and original Vaquero). Grip frames are mostly interchangeable.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
New Model BH cylinder frames { and cylinders } are the same ... dimensions for 44 mag & 45 Colt.
... And .357. Same, same, same.... Only the hole size in cylinder is different. Called the large frame. The NM flattops and New Vaqueros are on the medium frame. .44 Mag is only on the large frame (SBH and original Vaquero). Grip frames are mostly interchangeable.

True, .41 mag and .44 mag NM flattops and .44 mag New Vaqueros are on the large frame, same size as the SBH.

Grip frames are ALL interchangeable.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
seasterl said:
So the grips shown in my pics are not the same as a current-production Super Blackhawk 5.5"?
None of the grips shown are the same as current production.

seasterl said:
Are these the same as the current 7.5" Super Blackhawk or is it larger?
Already asked and answered; post #4:

"That's correct. 7 1/2" & 10" 1/4" have the 1/4" longer Dragoon grip frame."

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
............. in th e new models they made a Super with the shorter barrels and the smaller grip frame like the BLackhawks, and a 5 1/2 in barrel. the 44 magnum needs the larger, beefier cylinder frame for the pressures.......
thus , they are NOT quite "the same"....... 8) :roll: :wink:

Um, I think you are comparing the cylinder frames of the Three Screw .357 Magnum Blackhawks, which did have a smaller frame. However, since 1973 all Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks share the same frame size, which at one time was designated as the "MR-44" frame size.

And I'm not too sure about the grip frames, but until recently, the Blackhawks had aluminum alloy grip frames while the Super Blackhawk always had steel grip frames. This applicable to blued guns only.

Bob Wright

Latest posts