Lipsey’s lightweight aluminum gripframe flattop 44 special!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
The political climate has folks buying AR's and striker fired pocket pistols right now. However, if and when the dust clears, I would like to see Lipsey's come out with a gun as the title of this post suggest. The title is click bait, but if you clicked then there's a good chance you are interested. If you are interested, send lipsey's an email to that effect. The run of flattop 44 specials was a true blessing. However, I've pined for an aluminum XR3 grip frame version from the start. If I recall correctly, my 4 and 5/8" version weighs something like 42oz. An Aluminum grip frame can drop that to 34-34oz. Make it with the taller front sight to compensate for the added recoil. I like hiking and hunting with a good 44spl or 45 colt single action revolver that isn't so heavy that it will pull my pants down. It may be a couple years before we see any special editions again, as production for regular stuff is going bonkers.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Not hard to change out a gripframe. Why not make one yourself? But I like the concept. I always wished Ruger would produce an aluminum version of the Bisley gripframe.

TDF

Sugar River

Buckeye
TDF said:
Not hard to change out a gripframe. Why not make one yourself? But I like the concept. I always wished Ruger would produce an aluminum version of the Bisley gripframe.

TDF

All you need is money! $300 in this case.

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/BISLEYS_c_13.html

Just advertise for a regular "take off" New Model Ruger aluminum grip frame in the Classifieds. No need to buy a super-special grip frame, nice as they are. JMHO :mrgreen:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's far too easy to do rather than pine for it and wait forever for something that will never happen. The reason they are steel grip frames is because the market has demanded them for years!

You want an XR3 alloy grip frame which means it has to be an Old Model, pre 1963 grip frame. These are found all day long on this forum's sales section and the auctions, and even very cheap if you're not too picky about condition.

And very simple to convert for use on a New Model 44 Spl or any new model.

All OLD Model grip frames are easily adapted to NEW Model guns with simple modifications:

1. Drill a hole in the OM grip frame above the trigger guard for the New Model cyl bolt plunger & return spring. Replicate the location of the hole from your NM GF.

2. Grind off the spring shelf web on the back of the NM trigger and use an OM trigger return spring and plunger.

3. For other than the SBH and Old Army black powder grip frames which already have wide trigger slots, the OM GF trigger slot must be widened, or the NM trigger must be narrowed, your choice. You may have to lengthen the rear of the slot just a bit for the trigger to go far enough back to release the hammer. There you have it, piece 'o cake.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Good suggestion. In fact a better option since the XR3-RED size grip frame provides an extra 1/8" space behind the trigger for the added recoil from a 44 with the lighter grip frame; the reason the XR3-REDesigned grip frame was introduced and replaced the XR3 grip frame in the first place c. 1963.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Ronnie makes all of his gripframes in aluminum and they're $50 cheaper.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Xrayist said:
Wait, the aluminum/alloy grip frame is 1/2 lb. lighter than the steel one??????

No, 1/4 Lb. lighter!

An alum alloy XR3 size (old model) grip frame is a 1/4 pound (the new model size, XR3-RED may be negligibly more), w/wood grips, no springs or parts installed.

The 44 Special steel XR3 size new model grip frame is 1/2 lb., w/wood grips, no springs or parts installed.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
When I did (read, had John Gallagher do) my OM flattop .357 to .44 Special conversion, I stayed with the alloy gripframe and ERH for the weight reduction. My gripframe was dinged up some, so I just removed all the anodizing and polished it out bright. I think it looks good and makes as light a .44 as you can reasonably do on a Blackhawk frame.

Latest posts