Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt/45 acp Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Do any of you folk have a working knowledge of a Redhawk 45 Colt/45 acp revolver? Is the 45 acp with Ruger moon clips accurate? Any issues with using the moon clips such as bending, binding etc? I ask as the 45 acp is the round I'll be keying on if I purchase one. Thanks.

The Preacher

contender

Ruger Guru
I have one,, that is a custom,, done prior to Ruger offering it.
I've used moon clips w/o any issues. My moons are Ranch Products.
ALL makers of moons can have them bend if they are abused. I use Ranch moons in other guns,, and shoot USPSA and drop them all the time. Sometimes,, they get stepped on & bent. I have been able to use a flat anvil, a ball peen hammer,, and flatten them back out.

I was wanting to buy one myself until I'd heard that Ruger had some "issues" with this model. After I learned that, I bought the older model that was made for 45 Colt only since it was my primary cartridge. I'm sure Ruger has worked out the bugs on this specific model, though. But before buying one, for your sake and mine, I'd also love to hear if any of the most recently manufactured models are working great and no timing issues.

I have had one on order at Ruger since January. Last time I spoke to customer service in March, I was told they were starting production of the Redhawk line. I have not heard a thing since. I am looking forward to getting mine. My primary ammunition will be 45 Colt. Life is what happens while waiting for my new Redhawk. In our current times, I might have a long wait.

Bill

Zeke38

Bearcat
John Taffin says 3-4" groups at 25 yds is the norm with the ACP loads; shoots the 45LC a lot tighter.

kean57

Single-Sixer
And one more question... Are only Ruger propriety moon clips usable?

The Preacher
Yes. Ruger choose to use a thinner (.036"?) moon clip, compared to the .040" clip used for Smith & Wesson .45ACP revolvers. If I could have used the same moon-clips with the Redhawk that I have for my S&Ws, I would have grabbed one. Since the S&W moon clips are too thick to use in the Redhawk, I couldn't justify acquiring a Redhawk and having to buy all new, proprietary clips.

kean57

Single-Sixer
Read contender's post again, he answered your question before you even asked it. :D
Hi recumbant,
Actually, no. His gun was custom-cut to use moon-clips, most probably the same ones used for Smith & Wesson .45ACP revolvers. The Redhawk convertible that Ruger manufactures uses proprietary clips that are thinner than the Smith & Wesson clips...just enough that Smith & Wesson clips won't allow the cylinder to close on the Redhawk. If Ruger had made the Redhawk to use the commonly available Smith & Wesson moon clips, I would have added on to my collection. But to have to purchase proprietary clips nixed that desire for me. I have literally hundreds of the S&W clips.

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
Sounds like someone would be better off with a .45 Colt only, and send the cylinder off to have customized.
I had an opportunity to get a 44Mag or .45 Colt RH years ago. I chose the 44 Mag, even though I was already invested somewhat in .45 Colt. Kinda wished I had gotten the .45 and sent it to get the cylinder customized. I have quite a bit of .45ACP that I could have used.

TomC321

Bearcat
John Taffin says 3-4" groups at 25 yds is the norm with the ACP loads; shoots the 45LC a lot tighter.
I have trouble believing that using the short .45 ACP in a long .45 Colt chamber is conducive to good accuracy. It may be nice to have the option of shooting 45 ACP in a .45 Colt Redhawk, but I would expect much better accuracy in a .45 ACP chambered revolver, like a S&W 625 or the .45 ACP cylinder in a NMBH.

Although not RedHawks, my 45ACP cylinders for my 5.5" Blackhawk (primarily chambered in 45Colt until I picked up an extra cylinder) and my 45ACP Ruger Birds Head are actually very accurate in 45ACP. I think what matters most is having a dedicated cylinder with throats optimized for tge 45ACP. In my experience, the barrel bore has much less effect, but the cylinder throats make a big difference (somehow).

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Well you have two different diameter bullets.
45Colt: .454dia. and 45ACP: .451dia.

Each Conversion Revolver will handle them
differently, close-up target shooting probably
no difference in accuracy, and long range will
be a different story.

You would have to try the Revolver to see
how it handles the two different bullets plus
accuracy might be different with different
Bullet Manufacturers.

NikA

Buckeye
In general, I load both .45 Colt and .45 ACP with bullets in the .4525" range. For jacketed bullets, the .003" difference is unlikely to affect accuracy at handgun distances. For lead bullets, you ought to try loading whatever matches the throat/rifling dimensions.

I suspect any accuracy issues are the result of excessive freebore when shooting .45 ACP in the long cylinder. Consider: normal "Special" loads are close enough in OAL that the bullet is still supported by the case when it hits the throat. This won't be the case with .45 ACP in a Colt cylinder. An easy test would be to create a longer rimless .45 case and fire it with moonclips in the .45 Colt chamber. .45 Win Mag or a cut down .308 case should work.

TomC321

Bearcat
My .45 Colt NMBH was made around 2000. The chamber throats were tight and in several shapes other than cylindrical. Fortunately they were tight enough that a reamer could clean up an S shaped or tapered or oval, or whatever shaped. After reaming, they shot much better.

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Back in the last century, I had Art Leckie (Austin Behlert's son-in-law) convert several .45 Colt revolvers to use 45acp in Ranch moon clips. S&W's, Anacondas and Redhawks. Accuracy and point of impact were always the same, even with the added bullet jump.

Ruger's version uses thinner moon clips, which is why I never bought one.

Latest posts