RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:53 am 
Buckeye

Montelores wrote:
Geoff Timm wrote:
Revolver was returned, via UPS at 1800 hours 3/17/2021.

"Additional Notes:
Returning firearm
Reamed cylinder chambers
Fired 32 rounds Blazer 40 grain
Repair, safety function check, Range test & cleaning have been completed, released for shipping."

I took it to the range this morning, 3/18/2021, I fired 100 rounds of the nastiest .22 LR ammo I had; Remington Vipers high pressure and dirty. I had NO PROBLEMS with ejecting the fired cases.

I am VERY pleased with Ruger Service, turn around time ONE WEEK shipping to receipt.

Geoff
Who thinks Sturm, Ruger & Co. have lived up to their reputation.

Why 32?

Isn't this a 6-shot?

Monty

Maybe, given the ammo shortage, 32 was all they had on hand.;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:18 pm 
Buckeye

I have a new SP101 in .327 four inch that needs to go back. Cylinder basically won't extract ... even .32 H&R level loads. First six are bad enough... second six have to be pounded out on the bench. And the rear sight won't adjust up without losing spring tension.

I've just never sent anything back to Ruger before... is there a standard 1-800 number? I understand that sometimes Ruger pays the whole thing... honestly... $30 seems like a fair deal to me... especially if FedEx is going to come out to my house to pick it up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:20 am 
Single-Sixer

Ruger customer service: https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/

The numbers are not toll free. Central number is 336-949-6165, have your CC ready. Get a good box, that is expendable. Be careful when you size the shipping label. I had to paste the label they sent into Powerpoint and then adjust it to standard. It worked.

Geoff
Who is helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:48 am 
Hunter

How much should a .22 LR case expand after firing?

And should the expansion occur equally along the case length?

From the problem revolver, I've found as much as .229 near the case rim, which may be causing the problem - too-large chambers?

It may need to go back to S&W...

Monty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:45 am 
Single-Sixer

Montelores wrote:
How much should a .22 LR case expand after firing?

And should the expansion occur equally along the case length?

From the problem revolver, I've found as much as .229 near the case rim, which may be causing the problem - too-large chambers?

It may need to go back to S&W...

Monty

Always start by cleaning the chambers in the cylinder very well. Get the Q-tips (TM) out and clean CAREFULLY under the ejector. Then test fire. I inspected a bunch of range pick up .22 RF brass and the expansion was highly variable. My revolver still shows some base expansion, but functions. My T-514 target shows no apparent expansion of the case.

Geoff
Who has become very curious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:55 am 
Hawkeye

Montelores wrote:
A S&W 617, 10-shot .22LR wouldn't eject after all 10 were fired.

I guessed that the problem was too much expanded surface area of the fired cases (2/3 more, vs. 6-shot) or rough chambers hindering smooth extraction.

Gunsmith had a go at it, said that the star had burrs or uneven edges, causing the fired cases to push to the outside.

We'll find out if the fix was correct, haven't tried yet.

Monty

This is not an uncommon problem with S&W .22s. Back in the days when I frequented Rimfirecentral a lot, I heard of quite a few other guys who had it, and then there was mine.

My 6" K22 never gave me a minute's trouble, but the 4" one was a mess until I cent it back to S&W, who fixed it up most rikki-tik. I couldn't be happier with it now.

Social Distancing since 1954.

#Barack'sLiesMatter

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:08 am 
Buckeye

"Near the case rim" is probably supported by the star, no? I wonder if the work done previously might be partially responsible for this.

FWIW, I collected up a bunch of fired 22 cases for a project a couple days ago and only saw a couple with non-uniform case expansion from one of my semi rifles. My 10/22 cases all look very uniform.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am 
Hunter

I'm guessing that the star on my 617 may have something to do with the expansion at the case rim, whereas any chamber in which the case is completely inserted might not have the same issues - Ruger 10/22, Mk. I, II, etc.

It's had difficulty extracting since factory new.

I did contact S&W, and they're sending me a FedEx label for warrantee inspection (and repair, I hope). It's not a recent purchase, and I've avoided using it because of this issue. It's an extremely consistent gun, great accuracy.

A couple of other K-22's which I have fired haven't exhibited the same issues.

Now, I'm going to be carrying a micrometer with me to the range!

Monty