I returned my SP-101 .22 LR 6-shot to Ruger for Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Glad (but not surprised) to read it ended well.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know when Ruger went to the 8 round cylinder on the SP-101 .22?

Jim

Snake45

Hawkeye
Geoff Timm said:
Revolver was returned, via UPS at 1800 hours 3/17/2021.

"Additional Notes:
Returning firearm
Reamed cylinder chambers
Fired 32 rounds Blazer 40 grain
Repair, safety function check, Range test & cleaning have been completed, released for shipping."

I took it to the range this morning, 3/18/2021, I fired 100 rounds of the nastiest .22 LR ammo I had; Remington Vipers high pressure and dirty. I had NO PROBLEMS with ejecting the fired cases.

I am VERY pleased with Ruger Service, turn around time ONE WEEK shipping to receipt.

Geoff
Who thinks Sturm, Ruger & Co. have lived up to their reputation.
I had to return a Smith K22 to the factory for the very same problem in the early '90s. Expected it to be gone for months, had it back in less than two weeks, has worked perfectly ever since and is now a favorite. Glad to hear your story has a happy ending! :wink:

NikA

Buckeye
jimd441 said:
Glad (but not surprised) to read it ended well.

On a somewhat related topic, does anyone know when Ruger went to the 8 round cylinder on the SP-101 .22?

Jim

Seems like about 2012 from my memory. The 6-shot .22s were discontinued for a while before the 8-shot ones came out.

Is that why the cylinder was fixed instead of replaced? Because perhaps they didn't have any parts available?

Or would it have been possible to convert it to an 8 shot model?

Montelores

Buckeye
Geoff Timm said:
The brass became too difficult to extract. The pointy cylinder pin didn't help. When you have to push in down on a table to clear the brass, something is wrong. It got worse with age. I will find out what Sturm, Ruger et al say.
Age of the gun? Almost brand new, I bought it in June of 1993, no mods.
Geoff
Who owns six Rugers two long guns, two revolvers, two semi auto pistols.

A S&W 617, 10-shot .22LR wouldn't eject after all 10 were fired.

I guessed that the problem was too much expanded surface area of the fired cases (2/3 more, vs. 6-shot) or rough chambers hindering smooth extraction.

Gunsmith had a go at it, said that the star had burrs or uneven edges, causing the fired cases to push to the outside.

We'll find out if the fix was correct, haven't tried yet.

Monty

Montelores

Buckeye
Geoff Timm said:

"Additional Notes:
Returning firearm
Reamed cylinder chambers
Repair, safety function check, Range test & cleaning have been completed, released for shipping."

I took it to the range this morning, 3/18/2021, I fired 100 rounds of the nastiest .22 LR ammo I had; Remington Vipers high pressure and dirty. I had NO PROBLEMS with ejecting the fired cases.

I am VERY pleased with Ruger Service, turn around time ONE WEEK shipping to receipt.

Geoff

Why 32?

Isn't this a 6-shot?

Monty

NikA

Buckeye
Kevin said:
Is that why the cylinder was fixed instead of replaced? Because perhaps they didn't have any parts available?

Or would it have been possible to convert it to an 8 shot model?

Guessing if a cylinder replacement had been needed, Ruger would have offered a replacement firearm or a discount on the purchase of one.

8 shot model probably has somewhat different internals, particularly cylinder hand and possibly cylinder stop. Not sure if conversion is possible.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Montelores said:
Geoff Timm said:
R

Geoff

Why 32?

Isn't this a 6-shot?

Monty

Only Ruger knows for sure, but it was on a Friday afternoon, might have emptied the box.

Geoff
Who notes 100 rounds worked too!

Montelores said:
Geoff Timm said:

"Additional Notes:
Returning firearm
Reamed cylinder chambers

Geoff

Why 32?

Isn't this a 6-shot?

Monty

Maybe, given the ammo shortage, 32 was all they had on hand.;)

I have a new SP101 in .327 four inch that needs to go back. Cylinder basically won't extract ... even .32 H&R level loads. First six are bad enough... second six have to be pounded out on the bench. And the rear sight won't adjust up without losing spring tension.

I've just never sent anything back to Ruger before... is there a standard 1-800 number? I understand that sometimes Ruger pays the whole thing... honestly... $30 seems like a fair deal to me... especially if FedEx is going to come out to my house to pick it up!

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Ruger customer service: https://ruger.com/dataProcess/customerService/

The numbers are not toll free. Central number is 336-949-6165, have your CC ready. Get a good box, that is expendable. Be careful when you size the shipping label. I had to paste the label they sent into Powerpoint and then adjust it to standard. It worked.

Geoff
Who is helpful.

Montelores

Buckeye
How much should a .22 LR case expand after firing?

And should the expansion occur equally along the case length?

From the problem revolver, I've found as much as .229 near the case rim, which may be causing the problem - too-large chambers?

It may need to go back to S&W...

Monty

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Montelores said:
How much should a .22 LR case expand after firing?

And should the expansion occur equally along the case length?

From the problem revolver, I've found as much as .229 near the case rim, which may be causing the problem - too-large chambers?

It may need to go back to S&W...

Monty
Always start by cleaning the chambers in the cylinder very well. Get the Q-tips (TM) out and clean CAREFULLY under the ejector. Then test fire. I inspected a bunch of range pick up .22 RF brass and the expansion was highly variable. My revolver still shows some base expansion, but functions. My T-514 target shows no apparent expansion of the case.

Geoff
Who has become very curious.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Montelores said:
A S&W 617, 10-shot .22LR wouldn't eject after all 10 were fired.

I guessed that the problem was too much expanded surface area of the fired cases (2/3 more, vs. 6-shot) or rough chambers hindering smooth extraction.

Gunsmith had a go at it, said that the star had burrs or uneven edges, causing the fired cases to push to the outside.

We'll find out if the fix was correct, haven't tried yet.

Monty
This is not an uncommon problem with S&W .22s. Back in the days when I frequented Rimfirecentral a lot, I heard of quite a few other guys who had it, and then there was mine.

My 6" K22 never gave me a minute's trouble, but the 4" one was a mess until I cent it back to S&W, who fixed it up most rikki-tik. I couldn't be happier with it now.

NikA

Buckeye
"Near the case rim" is probably supported by the star, no? I wonder if the work done previously might be partially responsible for this.

FWIW, I collected up a bunch of fired 22 cases for a project a couple days ago and only saw a couple with non-uniform case expansion from one of my semi rifles. My 10/22 cases all look very uniform.

Montelores

Buckeye
I'm guessing that the star on my 617 may have something to do with the expansion at the case rim, whereas any chamber in which the case is completely inserted might not have the same issues - Ruger 10/22, Mk. I, II, etc.

It's had difficulty extracting since factory new.

I did contact S&W, and they're sending me a FedEx label for warrantee inspection (and repair, I hope). It's not a recent purchase, and I've avoided using it because of this issue. It's an extremely consistent gun, great accuracy.

A couple of other K-22's which I have fired haven't exhibited the same issues.

Now, I'm going to be carrying a micrometer with me to the range!

Monty