Super Blackhawk, Need value help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blazenet

Single-Sixer
I'm looking a estate Super Blackhawk that dates to 1963, its not converted. I've only seen pictures, what I can see it looks good. But... it appears to be hard chrome plated. I dont need the gun so I dont want to pay "panic" prices. What do you think would be a fair for both partys pre panic price for such a peice? Thanks

kevin masten

Blackhawk
In reply to your question regarding the SBH your are interested in that is coming available in an estate sale. Unfortunately, the chrome playing has ruined any collector value. That was taken care of by a previous owner. I assume , Also, this will be a bidding type of estate sale . In my opinion and only my opinion, I would have little to no interest in the piece unless you could purchase at a very reasonable price of no more than a few hundred dollars. It would be a great shooter if the piece functions properly. Plating can and does alter dimensions if not properly done. Plating adds layers of metal which can affect function . Approach cautiously and if bidding goes nuts, walk away, quickly. You should have little problem location a nice SBH. Further question, ask away.

Blazenet

Single-Sixer
It will be a private sale from the heir. I already explained that the gun has little to no collector value. I'm interested in it as a shooter. But want to be fair on price for them and me. I dont "need" it, so I won't pay panic prices.

Hard chrome plating is not the same as bumper chrome plating, and professionally done hard chrome plating doesn't cause function problems like bumper chrome plating frequently does. Is it hard chrome, or bumper chrome?

Either has an effect on collectibility but true hard chrome plating improves weather resistance and durability if you want the gun as a shooter.

There's really no good way for us to give you a meaningful value for the gun without at least having pictures of it.

Blazenet

Single-Sixer
Not bumper chrome, my first thought when I seen pictures was hard chrome. Gun has a nice satin look, appearance of the hard chrome SSK uses on contender barrels

kevin masten

Blackhawk
The key word was "properly" done. Should have explained ,in more detail, as to what I meant. You filled in nicely. Regardless, don't pay too much for a shooter! 1963! What a shame to lose one this way.

Regards

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Some people don't think ahead on modifying and re-designing a perfectly operating firearm. I saw a .44 carbine Ruger on Gunbroker that had stock squared off. A slip on recoil pad had been installed once. Looked like a club. Seller wanted more money to "repair". Cover up. This Super may not be too bad. Ruined to a Ruger collector. Then that Old Army that was posted here few days ago. Why?

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Agree on the OA. That was the absolute ruin of a fabulous firearm. I cannot wrap my brain around why someone would do that other than to say: I could! It reminds me of the firearms brought back from Europe after WWII. P38s, P08s and a lot of the other highly collectible arms that were chromed, engraved, you name it. Then, the arms were cheap and plentiful; today, they are highly sought after and very expensive. Same for a lot of the Rugers; few people had the foresight to see the potential in the Ruger line. Now, it would be nearly impossible to put together a collection of Rugers without a considerable outlay of dollars.

Hindsight is wonderful but often times very sad, too.

Regards

Rclark

Hunter
I say ...why not? After all it is their fire-arm. I mean, I can beat mine with hammer if I feel like it ... or melt it down. It is just pieces of metal after all. I may not like what other people do to their guns, and I am sure there are those that don't like mine either. All of us have different tastes :) . Look at the Wranglers. I really 'dislike' the finish. But others find it 'cool' or 'neat'. Then there is the 'value' thing.... Take the Colt Python... People are paying $3000 for 'em I understand. I wouldn't put out $200. On the other hand, I've paid $800 for a 5 1/2" Ruger Old Army. So it goes :) .

kevin masten

Blackhawk
What you write is true enough. It is yours, do with it as you like. No
Harm, no foul. You only have the arm for a short time , as it is, and then someone else takes procession. Use it without abusing it so someone else can enjoy taking care of it.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I often wonder when looking at a "plated" firearms i.e. hard chrome or otherwise... WHAT were they trying to COVER UP..??? Perhaps pitting, rust, stained steel etc etc. While the answer may be "Nothing", I prefer to stay away. This coming from a non-collector who doesn't care about future value of anything.

IMHO as always,
J.

Blazenet

Single-Sixer
Johnnu2 said:
I often wonder when looking at a "plated" firearms i.e. hard chrome or otherwise... WHAT were they trying to COVER UP..??? Perhaps pitting, rust, stained steel etc etc. While the answer may be "Nothing", I prefer to stay away. This coming from a non-collector who doesn't care about future value of anything.

IMHO as always,
J.

That was the first thing I asked if any signs of pitting. I was worried about cover up. I would feel alot better if I could see the gun, but this would be an internet purchase. The pictures I received the bore looks good, no signs of pitting. Plating looks professional. I would be buying as a shooter.

Acorn

Buckeye
I recently bought an early new model SBH with the box and shipper for $550 that appears unfired.
To me an OM that's been altered would be worth no more.