IWB For SP101 2.25"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
For some reason I can't get the search function here to work tonight. I am sure this has been asked before but:

I need suggestions for an IWB. I like smallish, minimalist holsters and don't want one with multiple clips and wide leather wings. I also don't like the real narrow steel clips, and find a bit wider clip easier to put on and take off. I found two made by Bianchi that look like what I want but they are 6 weeks out of stock. Anyone use an IWB for their SP101 that they like?

Also, I did see several holsters that have two leather straps instead of clips and they look like they might be the ticket but I never tried one before. Any downsides to using leather straps instead of metal clips?

hittman

Staff member
I use (for both a J frame Smith and an LCR) the Simply Rugged holster with those leather straps you mention.

Love them, fit great, feel great, never print, nothing better for me.

And if you take off the straps it becomes an OWB pancake holster.

hittman

Staff member
Yep.

I got very lucky and found mine here thru a WTB ad in Classifieds.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thanks much guys. One more question. I never used a pancake holster before. Is there something special it does that other types do not or is it just a matter of style?

hittman

Staff member
Nowhere by design for it to flop around. Totally hugs your body giving you the slimmest profile possible. Keeps the grips tucked in nicely against your body.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thanks again. I'm getting one as soon as I pick a color.

mjh

Single-Sixer
oxblood.....there I picked for yea, now you don't have to worry.

Course latter on you can get different colors to match your dressing attire.....

sjs

Single-Sixer
That's funny, I did pick oxblood, even before I read your posts. I thought black matched the grip and stainless better but my clothes don't often match either. Now I just have to wait 4 weeks. I'm currently wearing it daily in OWB Don Hume slide holster I used for my LCR, but my SP weighs more and wants more support, and I need to go IWB here with the SC heat and humidity.

I watched the riots out west last spring and summer and decided I needed more firepower so I went to autos for a few months but there is something about revolvers, and especially snubbies, that draws me. I like to shoot for recreation the same handgun I carry and I enjoy shooting revolvers much more. I shoot better with autos but I enjoy revolvers more.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Pancake holster,

Own an Uncle Mikes nylon version for my 2.25'' Sp101.

Not leather,but so form fitting to my waist, don't even notice the gun is there.

Kevin said:
Oxblood is a pretty cool color for holsters. Brown is so boring, and black is, well...black.

FWIW I also like Oxblood, but I have discovered that it takes a lot more time to dry and you don't want to just leave your gun in the holster if you choose that color. I bought a gun and ordered the holster (from Simply Rugged) and asked them to make it quick. My friend complained about the color rubbing on the gun for a while. Just a heads up. I typically go with the natural brown, because of that but, if I know I'm going to have some time before I carry it a bunch, Oxblood would work.

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thanks Bear Paw Jack. How long would you say it takes?

sjs

Single-Sixer
Update on the Simply Rugged holster. When I placed the order they said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to ship. Instead I got it today, in only 2 weeks. I have read for years on various forums how guys loved their Simply Rugged pancake holsters. I didn't get it because, frankly, on the internet I did not care for the looks of a pancake holster. Well, in person they are a thing of beauty and I just finished a 4 mile walk around my town carrying IWB (it can also be used OWB) and I have never had as secure and comfortable a feeling carrying concealed. I get it now. Wish it hadn't taken me so long to try it.

hittman

Staff member
Good to hear you're happy.

When I carry IWB, Simply Rugged is the only choice.

You can literally forget its there.