*Update* SP101 with questionable accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've written here a while back about the questionable accuracy of my SP101 in .327. I even tested it with some American Eagle factory ammunition, and had two split cases from two different boxes of ammo. Plus lots of blowback I could feel on my face for almost every round.

I bought the gun new in 2010. I've tried my own ammunition, with different powders, and different bullet weights (85 and 100 seem to be the most common.) I've tried the factory ammo, and over the years bought two different grips: Hogue G10 and most recently some VZ G10 grips, which seem to be the most comfortable.

The best group I could ever get, standing, sitting with sandbags etc. was about 8 inches at 15 yards.

Anyway, I just mailed it back to Ruger. I hope there is something wrong with the gun, and not wrong with me. :D

Interestingly, the nice lady at Ruger said to use either Fed Ex or UPS. She said since it is being returned to Ruger, to just put it in an unmarked box and take it in AND, no need to tell declare what is inside the box. I promise that's what she said, even though it sounds really odd.

I'll report back with what they tell me is wrong with the gun.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
The best group I could ever get, standing, sitting with sandbags etc. was about 8 inches at 15 yards.
Assuming you can shoot (and I'm not assuming otherwise), that is clearly excessive. I'd expect NO MORE than 3 inches at 15 yards, and frankly, I'd think it should be inside 2.

Snake: I will admit, I'm not the best shot in the world, but I think I'm ok. Over the years, I never felt like this gun was even remotely accurate. I have another .327 and that caliber is exceedingly accurate.

I also have an SP101 in .38 and that gun is accurate, no split cases, etc.

When I considered sending it back, last summer, I took it out to the range 3 or 4 times after that and really concentrated on trying to get the best shot possible. Finally, I just thought it was a waste of ammunition to do any more shooting with it.

paboxcall

Bearcat
I had a very early production SP101 in .327 that split the brass with just one of the six cylinder holes, and hit me with a bunch of debris when fired. Returned it to Ruger and upon inspection they destroyed it and issued me a new revolver.

No split cases and no blow back with the replacement. You did the right thing.

Well, I'm glad I sent it back. It was just returned to me today. So an 8 day turn around.

The repair slip says they replaced the cylinder, ehector, cylinder latch and trigger plunger. Plus they repaired the barrel throat. But that is really strange, I've never mis-treated this revolver, in fact, I really haven't shot it very much. I don't know what they would have repaired. Unless it just needed a uniform reaming perhaps? Maybe it wasn't ever correct to begin with.

You can tell the cylinder is new, because it's one of those tapered cylinders. The old one wasn't, but I don't mind, I know some people don't like them. I actually think they are kind of nice looking.

It says they fired it at a target of 7 yards with Federal 100 grain ammunition.

This past week, after I sent it in, I reloaded some 327's. I used three different powders, with a nice variety of amounts. HP38, W296 and some Universal. I've always kept notes of what works and what doesn't. I have in my book, that the SP101 liked W296 better than the 8 shot Blackhawk.

Yup, I'm going out this weekend, it will be interesting to see the difference, especially since this was the last gun I shot before sending it off.

But why would they have replaced the cylinder? What could have been wrong with it?

LAH

Buckeye
Kevin said:
But why would they have replaced the cylinder? What could have been wrong with it?

Something was wrong if cases were splitting & since the cylinder holds the cases!!

I am so happy! Man oh man! This gun can shoot! I'm out at the range right now and as I said, I loaded up a good variety of different loads with three different powders. I am getting two inch groups at 7 and 10 yards.

This gun has never shot this well. I am truly amazed and so happy I sent it back to Ruger. Definitely a keeper.

:D :D :D

paboxcall

Bearcat
Kevin said:
I am so happy! Man oh man! This gun can shoot! I'm out at the range right now and as I said, I loaded up a good variety of different loads with three different powders. I am getting two inch groups at 7 and 10 yards.

This gun has never shot this well. I am truly amazed and so happy I sent it back to Ruger. Definitely a keeper.

:D :D :D

Good deal, glad Ruger got it straightened out. It is a great shooter.

Replaced the hammer spring in mine, looking forward to putting some American Eagle down range this week.

It's just fabulous!

Before sending it in, I tried a new set of grips, the G10 grips from VZ Grips. I put them back on for shooting at the range today. (I sent the gun into Ruger with the factory grips.) The new VZ Grips are very comfortable and really help with the recoil, especially compared to the factory SP101 grips.