RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:09 pm 
Hunter

I've shot several deer with my GP 100 with 125 gr. Remington HPs not by choice, but that was my duty load and all were in the ditch hit by cars. Range was like 1-2 feet to the back of head. Not much real world hunting info there, sorry. But it did seem they are pretty easy to kill. For hunting I would prefer 158gr cast.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:39 pm 
Buckeye

whichwatch wrote:
Anyone use, or have used a .357 for white tail deer? What bullet did you use and what were the results?

If I am starting from the scratch, I'll take a long, hard look at 41 Magnum. Just use right bullet. Some folks prefer HP, others some sort of LBT with FP. Although, standard weight for 41 magnum is considered 210-220 grains, if I want universal hunting bullet, I would go bit more, such one of those 250-265 like https://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm (look on left side for "41 Caliber"), or https://i2.wp.com/www.mp-molds.com/wp-c ... C560&ssl=1 . Since we are talking about hunting bullets, I would prefer those with gas check, for better accuracy and to eliminate barrel leading.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm 
Bearcat

Often discussed / debated subject. The bottom line is are you man enough and are you a good enough shot?

As a youngin, a 12 gauge slug was all that was legal. We could shoot out to about 100 yards and the deer dropped in his tracks. Of course, that was a responsible shot and we KNEW beforehand that the deer would suffer a fatal shot.

When handguns were made legal we started with a .45 Colt loaded with Ruger Only loads. One shot and he ran 50 yards before he dropped. Still responsible good shot placement.

Switched to a .357 mag. Still similar but he dropped now in 200 yards. Not good enough.

Switched to an Encore in 0.308 Winchester. Back to dropping in his tracks.

The bottom line is are you good enough, are you willing to wait for a close shot, and are ya feelin lucky?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:53 pm 
Bearcat

buckeyeshooter wrote:
I shot a doe at 8 feet with a 158 grain xtp over a maximum charge of 2400. Perfect lung shot. It ran 200 yards before falling.

For me, that's not good enough. In fact, its a lost deer waiting to happen.

Before handguns were allowed, we shot 12 ga. shotgun slugs and the deer dropped in their tracks.

When we became handgun hunters we started out with a .45 Blackhawk with 255 grain jacketed bullets. The deer would run 50 yards with a direct kill shot at close range. Not good enough.

I now hunt with a TC Encore with a 0.308 Winchester barrel. They drop in their tracks again.

Are you a master handgunner? Do you believe in a humane kill? Are you a responsible hunter?

A .357 may have been OK for Elmer Keith, but are you of that caliber?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:30 pm 
Hunter

JStacy wrote:
I like to think of a pistol , like a 357, as a loud bow and treat it accordingly.

DING! DIng! Ding! We have a winner. I am a 99.97% Bow hunter (recurve too) My .03% non bowhunting is handgun. I take archery shots but up a to a little further. Put it the right spot and you're golden. Make sure your tracking skills are up to snuff.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 am 
Buckeye

This same question ,seen posted for 2+ decades.

White Tail Deer not large,yet tasty ...

General answer seen in COUNTLESS threads...

MINIMUM
158 grain JHP'S .....hopefully at a maximum range of 50 yards.

Bullet weight enough to penetrate to vital organs , yet will expand
enough for a fast kill.

Others will disagree.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 pm 
Hunter

My old 5-screw S&W .357 has brought home venison more than once, with the old 173 grain Keith 358429 bullet and heavy load of 2400. I now have a mold for this same bullet in hollow point form and hope to try that on deer next year.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:43 am 
Bearcat

I use a 180 LWFNGC over a close to max load of 2400 in my GP100 for hunting deer. I also carry the same anytime I am in the woods around here. When I was working up this load I put one through five big city phone books, three one gallon water jugs and into the berm at the back of my shooting range. As always though shot placement is the key.