Monolithic Bulles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Has anyone taken any large game with one of the monolithic, or mono-metal bullets. They are supposed to penetrate much deeper and straighter than a hard cast bullet, one advantage is that they don't deform when striking heavy bone. One disadvantage (maybe) is that the bullet needs to be longer to equal, or nearly equal the weight of a hard cast bullet due to copper being lighter than lead. I am considering a box as a bear defense/elk hunting load, either .44 magnum and/or .454 Casull. Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
Max Prasac has done some similar hunting with copper solids I believe.
But,, mostly in LARGE bovines.
For elk or bear,, I'd NOT feel bad about using a good quality hard cast lead. I've taken elk with a handgun,, and have carried my cast bullets when bear hunting. So far,, a bear hasn't given me an opportunity for a shot. But I have full confidence in my cast bullets.

Having absolutely no experience with monolith handgun bullets and very limited use of cast bullets, I'll relate what I've learned from the use of mono type rifle bullets.
Using a solid expanding bullet in a rifle often allows a smaller caliber to step up a level in the size of animal it can ethically be used for by increasing the depth of penetration relative to the bullet weight. Part of this is due to the increased length for weight and part is the assurance that there won't be a core separation. The requirement is that the cartridge be capable of high velocity giving some assurance of at least limited expansion.
With these factors in mind, I see no advantages to using monolith bullets in handguns if a suitable hardcast bullet is available or provides adequate accuracy. The only advantage I can see would possibly be that the mono bullet does not require lube.

contender

Ruger Guru
Mobuck makes a valid point.
However,, in the quest for handgun hunting seriously large or very dangerous game,, the all copper mono bullets have been proven to do the job. We are talking about handgun hunting here.

Max's books,, along with other info out there about hunting such critters points with the use of the mono bullets points to it being a valid method for those critters.

But again, as a longtime handgun hunter,, I don't really see the necessity for elk or bear.
Here in NC,, we get some pretty big black bears. Heck, locally, I know of 2 taken this past season that topped close to the 700 lb range. (Both had to be gutted in the field to even consider moving them out.) One dressed 585,, and the other one 590,,,and we know of a couple on game cameras as big if not bigger. And,, I hunt with a 45 Colt, using a cast solid, weighing 285 grains. I use the same bullet in my 454 when I want to use it.
I have a 480 solid cast,, that penetrated 16 jugs of water,, and didn't deform much. It'd punch a good hole into anything on the continent. It weighs 400 grns.
But the discussion is about bullets for the 45 cal guns. And again,, from all I've studied,, and what I personally practice,, the copper solids really aren't necessary for elk or bear.

Yes, the original Punch bullets, and other current solids like the all copper cutting edge bullets, go straight thru bone and all. You can specifically target the shoulder socket to break down an animal as the solid will not fail. Long ways, short ways, full penetration.

I'm going to revive this post about solid brass or copper bullets, to see if anyone used the Cutting Edge raptor bullets. They make a lot of sense. The large hollow point ( is supposed to ) go in a few inches, then peel off, not mushroom, creating extensive tissue damage, with the solid main body of the bullet continuing on thru the critter, like solids do.
I've ordered up both of the .510's that are 350 grain, ( copper and brass) and will do some bullet trap testing. I picked up a roll of shrink wrap, to attempt to contain water jug, 1/2" OSB, water jug, OSB….. maybe 6 gallons deep, with a large cardboard box full of sand in case of over penetration. The goal is to see where the pedals shed, and how far the bullet penetrates.
I'll start with cast 350's for good recoil, without it being so obnoxious it's hard to make a follow up shot. Test for grouping, then switch to the expensive bullets, once I get a load I'm happy with, to make sure the raptors perform, and importantly are Accurate.
*** Has anyone used these bullets on game? I've shot a small group of brass bullets, and they pattern well, but lots of testing to go.

I will apologize for altering the OP, but these are 3/4 solids with a little addition of tissue damage on impact

Latest posts