Weight loss program for Hogue monogrips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick R

Bearcat
Has anyone ever tried removing some girth from the wooden Hogue "Monogrips"?

For my paws the stock grips for the Ruger XR3 RED grip frame are too skinny. The SBH or Bisley grips aren't really any better. I put a set of wooden Hogues on my 4 5/8" SBH and I've shot it that way for a few years BUT I keep thinking that it would be better with judicious application of a sanding wheel to remove the finger grooves and some of the belly under my ring and little fingers making them closer to the Hogue grips Ruger puts on the GP-100 Match Champion.

Have any of you gents tried this?

contender

Ruger Guru
I have seen many "standard" mfg grips modified to fit the owner's hands. Go for it.

(I modified my Pachmyer rubber ones to fit my hands.)

Rick R

Bearcat
I actually took my Dremel with a sanding drum to a rubber Hogue grip for the Ruger Blackhawk today. Figured at $30 it was better than carving away on an expensive wooden model.

I took the humps between the finger grooves down (accidentally got into the plastic skeleton where the end of the grip frame hides) and shaved a bunch of the flange off the bottom of the grip. It feels 100% better so I drove out to the range and put 50 rounds thru it. I believe this will work nicely. I may end up buying a second wood grip and give it The Treatment.

contender

Ruger Guru
You have to go slow,, removing material & checking the fit. With rubber,, you may not always have enough material in some places to remove much,, but in other places,, you can.
With wood, you also need to go slow,, but you can usually know how much is available to remove.

I have a set of zebrawood grips for a smiff,, that didn't fit me correctly. I went to sanding,, and now,, very comfortable,, and they work just fine.

Rick R

Bearcat
Well after looking further into this I found out that Hogue uses carnuba wax as a finish and offers a kit with buffing rouge and carnuba wax along with directions on refinishing. They even say that they will refinish a set of grips for the price of shipping after you file/sand/chew off the parts that don't fit you.

I broke out a rasp, sandpaper and steel wool this morning and started the process. My grips are the single finger groove on my 4 5/8" SBH. I took the flare off of the bottom, then decreased the diameter under my little finger and reduced the flange between my fingers to a nub. I put on three coats of Minwax and now they fit my hands a whole lot better and the finish is quite attractive.

Hopefully the weather will let me shoot with them next week.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Rick R said:
Well after looking further into this I found out that Hogue uses carnuba wax as a finish and offers a kit with buffing rouge and carnuba wax along with directions on refinishing. They even say that they will refinish a set of grips for the price of shipping after you file/sand/chew off the parts that don't fit you.

I broke out a rasp, sandpaper and steel wool this morning and started the process. My grips are the single finger groove on my 4 5/8" SBH. I took the flare off of the bottom, then decreased the diameter under my little finger and reduced the flange between my fingers to a nub. I put on three coats of Minwax and now they fit my hands a whole lot better and the finish is quite attractive.

Hopefully the weather will let me shoot with them next week.

You found the magic of Hogue wood grips. Do what you want, sand it nice and wax it up. I use Johnson's or Minwax paste wax.