Blackhawk with 7 calibers & 6 barrels??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

32shooter

Blackhawk
This lot sold at a local auction tonight. I was going to post a link to it earlier in the classifieds, but forgot about it until I was looking at the auction again tonight. I have never seen anything like it and was wondering if anyone else has. I know nothing more about it other than what is in the ad.
https://bid.kaufman-auctions.com/lot-details/index/catalog/26362/lot/3927127?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F26362%2F%3Fpage%3D4

hittman

Staff member
Somebody seriously over paid for that shooter grade new model and a pile of parts!

$1680.00 if I read it correctly!?

gunzo

Buckeye
I had the impression that all those parts were fitted & can be swapped out without the aide of a barrel vise or frame jig.

It's the answer if someone says you can only posses but one handgun.

gunzo said:
I had the impression that all those parts were fitted & can be swapped out without the aide of a barrel vise or frame jig.

Yeah, I got that impression as well, but as hittman points out it merely shows a pile of parts that we are led to believe have been fitted to the frame. Actually it doesn't even hint at this possibility. Buyer beware!

Heck, if that were actually a "switch-caliber" arrangement the price shown wouldn't even begin to cover it. JMHO :roll: :shock: :roll:

That looks like one of the Qwik change kits that I have heard about where with the proper hand tools you can swap out the barrels and cylinders. I believe gunsmith Milt Morrison made something like that in the past. That being said, there is o doubt the lack of clarity in the description a hinderance to wanting to bid on such a thing. I think one of the high end European revolver makers, either Korth or Janz, offers that feature on some of their guns.

eveled

Hawkeye
nvbirdman said:
Looks great until you combine a 44mag cylinder with a 30carbine barrel.

Nothing to stop that from happening if you own multiple Blackhawks.

Russell

Bearcat
nvbirdman said:

Blackhawks are plenty strong. The round would probably just fire-form to 30 caliber upon discharge. :wink:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'm no engineer but what about the timing? Even if you could swap barrels and cylinders on your own would the cylinder turn and lock into place properly?

oh yeah, Rugers are strong, uh -huh........................

s5ilG9lm.jpg

wish I had a dollar for the ones we seen "blowed" up 8) :roll: :wink:

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
nvbirdman said:

It's my understanding that cylinders are not the same length for all calibers., making the above scenario unlikely. I've never measured cylinders to see if that is true or not.

hittman said:

I've seen that pic before, and it always impresses me.

My Dad had a saying, "Anything worth doing, is worth doing well." I guess if you're going to have a squib load... might as well put four more in, right behind it! :p Or, is there another farther forward, below the sight? Or some other type of barrel obstruction?

What caliber do you think that barrel is? Looks to me like the bore isn't really any larger than the thickness of the barrel wall. Looks like a true jacketed bullet... maybe a .22WMR, in a Single-Six?

Whoever sectioned the barrel did a nice job. It always makes me think: if they can do machine work like that, could they have drilled out the obstruction(s)? Is there ANY chance that the barrel might not be bulged?

Of course if they had drilled out the obstruction, then we wouldn't have this cool picture! 8)

Sugar River

Buckeye
I believe that photo came from the customer service dept in Newport. When I took the Armourer's course in '85 they had
a gun that looked just like that, IIRC it was a 357.
They also had about 2 dozen revolvers lining the walls which had been sent to C.S. with no return address or phone #, no
letter indicating what the problem was.....nothing.
They kept them in the hope that someday someone would call and say "Hey, I sent my gun in, when you gonna fix it?".

VinnieBoomBah

Bearcat
IIRC John Taffin wrote an article about a gun like this made by (again, IIRC) Bill Grover of Texas Longhorn Arms. He had made the barrels and cylinders different lengths with the 44 cylinder being the longest and the smallest bore having the longest shank. That way you might be able to assemble it with the 30 cal cylinder and the 44 barrel (although with atrocious B/C gap) there was no way to install the 44 cylinder and the 30 cal barrel.

If that is a Bill Grover build it is worth every penny they paid for it.

"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

VinnieBoomBah said:
IIRC John Taffin wrote an article about a gun like this made by (again, IIRC) Bill Grover of Texas Longhorn Arms. He had made the barrels and cylinders different lengths with the 44 cylinder being the longest and the smallest bore having the longest shank. That way you might be able to assemble it with the 30 cal cylinder and the 44 barrel (although with atrocious B/C gap) there was no way to install the 44 cylinder and the 30 cal barrel.

Man, talk about coincidences . . . just yesterday afternoon rugerguy and I were discussing this very arrangement. I vaguely recall hearing/reading a rumor that Ruger had considered this procedure in their single-actions, but couldn't pin that down. Dan was sorta of the same opinion.

I've been too lazy to drag out guns and check it out. :wink: