Seeking tri-color info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kidding aside, the actual "tri-colors" had the "silver" aluminum main frame, blue steel barrel and steel ejector rod housing, "black" aluminum grip frame, "brown" aluminum cylinder, and blue steel flat loading gate. Some of the later ones had blue steel "contoured" gates. They were all also "three-screws" so the naming selection potential is broad.

They are usually called "tri-colors" in conversation, until you get to discussing the variations, alhough Dougan says some folks refer to them as "two-tone".

Guess you could call it a "tri-color lightweight flatgate three-screw Single-Six". :)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger's official name is the "Single Six Lightweight Model Revolver". All other names are collector nicknames. All lightweights are not tri colors; some are all blue and only the earliest had flat gates. So the factory name does not distinguish if it's a tri color or not, hence the need for collector nick names.

Your # is from 1957. However, if it has an S stamped on it in front of the serial # or bottom of frame in front of the trigger guard it's a 'second' that could be from 8/1964 or 4/1965. The seconds can have a blued steel cyl and those of course are not literally tri colors, but two tones.

Six variations and more sub-variations are identified by collectors, so besides the flat gate you identified on yours, we'd need to know other things, some of which Ale mentioned above; the style of the ejector rod button (flat serrated or round), ejector rod housing material Alum alloy or steel, etc.

Currently having technical difficulties with photos. Happy to share via text if someone would like to see or post a couple.

There is no S near the serial number or anywhere else that I can see. The ejector rod housing is steel as are the rod and button. The button is sort of oval with serrations. The cylinder is aluminum with sleeved chambers. While I was looking I pulled the grips. They must have been purchased at some point because one side is wearing a little sticker with XR3 and $250 hand written.

This one is newly acquired by me, and somewhat outside my normal realm of Rugers. In fact all of mine with the exception of another flat gate single six, are all new models. Always sort of had a "want" for one of these, and the timing was right so jumped on it.

Any other good stuff you guys want to share, I am all ears.

The serrated ejector rod button was used on the "First Variation". Later versions used the round "dimpled" button. Your serial number would put it in the "Second Variation" but small bits like the rods can easily have gotten swapped. And speaking of swapped . . .

$250 grip panels?! Wow, are they ivory? :wink: The originals were the "black plastic" variety found on several early model of single-actions.

AJ, here is what they first looked like, I saw your serial number, and had to go check, yep, an 'extra' ..."0" in the middle,,,,,, 8) :roll: :wink:

5kIfRlql.jpg

...and the aluminum cylinder is actual an aerospace?? "Martin Coating" for planes I believe.. :wink:

Ale-8(1) said:
The serrated ejector rod button was used on the "First Variation". Later versions used the round "dimpled" button. Your serial number would put it in the "Second Variation" but small bits like the rods can easily have gotten swapped. And speaking of swapped . . .

$250 grip panels?! Wow, are they ivory? :wink: The originals were the "black plastic" variety found on several early model of single-actions.

I didn't pay $250 for the grips but I am guessing somewhere along it's trail, someone did.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, Martin Hard Coating was a period finish in those days in general use for industrial applications.

The cylinders was not sleeved by Ruger from the factory. If it truly is sleeved, it was done aftermarket. But your cyl just doesn't look to have near enough wear on it to have warranted sleeving.