Repairing stag grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I have a set of stag grips that came on a flattop .357 Blackhawk. Unfortunately, a previous owner decided to carve his initials on them. I'd like to get them repaired.

Or I could change my name.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
This is gonna require some pictures.
This depends a lot on location and depth of carving and color of stag , how much bark etc.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I had a similar issue with '50's era non-relieved target grips that were otherwise like new. Large as life left side below the grip screw in the checkering were two initials! They looked impossible to remove, but I recheckered over them and here's the result:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The added benefit was a more coke bottle shape/feel to the grips.

But the stag I'd have to see to come up with possible corrective action. I've removed chips and gouges by slimming/refinishing which most stags can endure and for the better. I've also filled voids or chipped off corners by grafting/splicing and gluing color matching pieces. This pair had a pretty large size corner broken off of the toe:

medium800.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm just a DIY guy with no special knowledge BUT, I've found that I have been able to shape stag, resin, wood etc grips with various levels of sandpaper and similar abrasives and THEN polish those materials using polishing wheels on my drill press, bench wheel/grinder and/or Dremel. I use differing grades of polishing compound and just work the surfaces to the level of "it's done now" that I like. Here is a 'after' and 'before' example of a simple grip made from a resin that I bought from 'Guitar Parts and More".

HERE IS THE "BEFORE":

J.

Mag-force

Single-Sixer
You Folks did a great job on the handles and some nice revolvers and pistols.