Redhawk question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Last week I purchased a 4 inch SS Redhawk in 45 Colt. I noticed the front sight was pinned in place. I thought the front sights on the Redhawk were easy to replace? Or is that just a feature of the Super Redhawk?
Thank you

hittman

Staff member
Ruger changed that some time ago. They may have made that change even before introduction of the four inch model.

My old "original" RedHawks have the easy one with the push button thingy. Don't remember when they changed that.

NikA

Buckeye
They changed around 2007-8 IIRC, at the same time the true 4" models became 4.2" and around the time Redhawk production moved to the NC plant. The replacement pinned sights were available at that time (e.g., https://www.hivizsights.com/product/rr2009/); not sure how available they are these days.

AKDRSS said:
Last week I purchased a 4 inch SS Redhawk in 45 Colt. I noticed the front sight was pinned in place. I thought the front sights on the Redhawk were easy to replace? Or is that just a feature of the Super Redhawk?
Thank you

I'm not sure you're going to be happy with that revolver. I think you should sell it to me! LOL!

All kidding aside, did you purchase it new, and from where? There seems to be a shortage of 4" Redhawks in 45Colt these days. The three big online auction and listing sites have not had many, and new ones going for 50% over MSRP now.

k2nd

Single-Sixer
According to my catalog collection the only year for the 4" 45Colt was 2008. In the 2009 catalog it shows the barrel to be 4.2" to comply with a change in Canadian law requiring handgun barrels to be longer than 4". I'm not sure when they transitioned to the easy change front sight on the short Redhawks, but my short 45 Colt was built in 2013, and it has the original easy change front sight.
k2nd

k2nd

Single-Sixer
I forgot to add that the only Redhawk I have that does not have the easy change front sight is my 2018 Redhawk in 357. It is dovetailed.
k2nd

NikA

Buckeye
I think the new Redhawks with shrouded barrel construction might have dovetailed sights instead of the quick change. Haven't handled any yet, but looking at the current offerings on the Ruger website, most of them look to have dovetailed sights.

None of the 2.75" barreled Redhawks were released before the quick change sights were on the 4" models to my knowledge, so they would all be quick change (older models) or dovetailed (newer models).

The early Redhawks in 45 Colt, had the front sight pinned in. Later on is when they started using the plunger to you can change out the sight. Originally Ruger didn't produce the 45 Colt in the Redhawk in the 4" barrel. When they did, they just cut down the barrel so the front sight was pinned. Later on they added the plunger on that barrel length.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Box label says its a model 05027. The cylinder throats were opened up to .452 and owner reports it shoots cast bullets up to 320 grains accurately.