Lipsey's Flattop 9mm/357 Convertible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
If you wanted to put a Bisley grip on this, do you just have to grind off those 2 bits at the rear or is the Bisley grip frame for this a completely different part?

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I did this conversion, was super easy with guidance of a few members. Its a nice handling package. Certainly lighter in the hand than the large frame bisleys.

KMK-678GC

Single-Sixer
I did this conversion, was super easy with guidance of a few members. Its a nice handling package. Certainly lighter in the hand than the large frame bisleys.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Antipaladin said:
do you just have to grind off those 2 bits at the rear

If it is an older grip frame it will have the alignment thingies sticking out and the newer frames have no place to put them .
I have ground them off and there seems to be no ill effects.
But also be aware the mid frames need a notch cut into the grip frame under the lifter/hand .

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Why the notch? The flat tops (and New Vaqs have the RIPS, Reverse Indexing Pawl System) and the notch facilitates operation of the free spin pawl (hand) that turns the cyl and allows the cyl to rotate backwards.

Ruger free spin pawl on the right:

10-17-2010_1a.jpg

Divot for free spin pawl shown on the left used on NM Flat Tops and New Vaqueros with the reverse indexing system using the Ruger free spin pawl:
10-17-2010_3a.jpg

If you get a flat top or new Vaq Bisley grip, you want have to create the notch or grind off the Grip Frame Projections.