Same Trigger Guard and Parts For Security and Service Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Is it the same trigger guard and trigger components for the security and service six?

radshop

Bearcat
Yes, from my experience replacing the trigger subassembly on a security six. All of the OEM and aftermarket replacement parts were listed as being suitable for both.

Actually, the whole trigger group assembly is the same for the Security Six, Police Service Six and the Speed Six and it doesn't matter if it is a low back (s/n 150-) frame or a high back (151- and up) or Speed Six frame, blued or stainless steel.

Also, the hammer, hammer dog, hammer pivot pin, hammer spring, hammer strut, cylinder assembly, and barrel (in its different configurations) will fit in all models of the Six series revolvers.

What is different is the shape of the grip portion of the frame between the low and high backs (SS, PSS) and the grip portion of the Speed Six frame.

Oh, also what is different is the size/shape of the front sight between different models/barrel lengths. There are models like what were built for the PA State Police that had a front sight designed specifically for the ammo they used.

I also just posted in the Auction Links, Recurring Items, and Other Deals section about Six series parts that I have available.

I do have a lot of Six series parts if you need something.

Please PM me if you are looking for something, don't post it here.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Crap! I should have reached out to you before buying the one on gunbroker. Didn't occur to me. I'll be making more buys. Just to have a little stash. I'll PM you when I need something.

Ron, could you give a little more detail on the PA State Police guns?

Which "Six" model were they? Cal.? Do you know what load necessitated the different front sight? Are they factory marked for the agency?

Mike,
I'll have to do some more research to see if I can find exact specifics. I am pretty sure they were Stainless Security Sixes because of the front sight size and shape. The front sight is stainless with a red insert and IIRC it is a little taller than normal. I'll have to get one out and actually measure it as compared to a standard Security Six sight. I do not believe they had any special markings on them. I have a few older PSP friends and I'll talk to them to see what they remember.

I also know, via Chads Reference they made 92 GA-34 Pennsylvania State Police Commemoratives but the others were what was carried before they transitioned to the .40 S&W Beretta 96D. As far as I know, they did not have any special markings. But, I aim to find out for sure.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Ron, do you have any info on the NYPD blued Service Six guns? The stainless DAO guns had the star stamped on the yolk. I'm not sure if the blued ones were ever marked. I don't think so. The job never marked the Smith Model 10's. I sent in a request for a letter to Ruger. The job would ship directly to One Police Plaza so I'm hoping they have a record of the shipment.

Honestly, I have never heard of nor come across a contracted blued NYCPD Ruger.

Now, I do know that in the past, NYCPD officers were allowed/encouraged to purchase their own duty weapon and the John Jovino store was probably the main store who sold a lot to NYCPD officers. It is very possible that the officers got their guns from him and any of the the guns bought at John Jovino were already authorized by the NYCPD and as such did not have to go through the armorer. As far as I know, the armorers had to inspect and stamp all the Ruger contracted guns to insure they met the contract before they were issued to officers, thus the "armorers star" on the crane.

That all said, there is a saying, "Never say NEVER, when it comes to Rugers". I am also interested in what Ruger says.