5 shot Ruger 45 cal. Blackhawk new model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack black

Blackhawk
Has anyone had this done to a current production Blackhawk in 45 cal.
Also who does this type of work and cost.
I thank you

Best Wishes

Enigma

Hunter
The 5-shot conversions are where things start to get expensive, generally. Hamilton Bowen states: from $3,195.00 (.44 and .45 cals.); all calibers available in blue or stainless.

That buys you a lot of gun, though. I'm sure that you can get them done for less money, but that would also be less gun. The cylinder window is enlarged both in length and height, and the cylinder is custom made. The factory barrel is also replaced with a custom, and basically the only limiting factor is your wallet.

http://bowenclassicarms.com/catalog/ruger_single_action_big_bore_caliber_conversions.html

jgt

Buckeye
It depends on how long you have to wait and what features you want on the gun. If it is just to get one that is accurate and precision made, Freedom arms would be faster and will likely hold their value. Custom guns are only hold their value to those that know the builder and what he does. Hamilton Bowen is the best known. John and Dustin Linebaugh are known for the 45 calibers but do anything else a customer wants. There are others , Jack Huntington, Tyler Gun Works, Ryan Ross, Gary Reeder, Andy Horvath, and the two Powers gun shops.

princeout

Blackhawk
gramps said:
Why would you do this to a perfectly serviceable gun as is?
gramps

I have a midframe Blackhawk (think flattop) converted to 5 shot 45 Colt by Bowen. It will handle full Ruger-Only loads (30K).
I also have a full size Blackhawk converted to 5 shot 45 Colt by Harton. It will handle twice that level of push (60K).

https://www.singleactions.com/FiveShot45Colts.html

Why? I guess just because we can.

Tim

I've had John Linebaugh work on a couple revolvers for me, but I've never dropped the coin for the "big Colt" conversion (a five-shot cylinder). While I love the idea, the thing I can't get past is where do you get the load data for a setup that is expected to shoot greater pressures than "Ruger-only" loads? Do you use the rifle data in the load book, or do you get it from the custom builder? I've owned several Freedom Arms in the past and highly recommend them at that price point. Also, it was nice to see Ruger offer five-shot Bisley models in 45 Colt / 454 and 480 Ruger back in the days when you could order them. Every once in a while, one will show up on gun broker at a heavily inflated price.

princeout

Blackhawk
seasterl said:
While I love the idea, the thing I can't get past is where do you get the load data for a setup that is expected to shoot greater pressures than "Ruger-only" loads?

The article linked above has some load data from Lee Martin's work - normal cautions apply, i.e. work up to the load carefully. The gunsmith who builds the gun is also, as you mentioned, an important source for load info.

Tim

I have a five shot banded barrel bisley in 45 Colt by Ben Forkin that will do anything I could want a revolver to do. From 45 cowboy/Colt loads to 350 grain hard cast that rattle your teeth. As I start thinning my collection down it stay while other five yugo guns like the 414, 475 and 500 get rehomed. Extremely versatile.

What's attractive about a five-shot Ruger big-bore is the transfer bar safety. Freedom Arms does NOT condone carrying with a live round under the hammer. By the time the custom builder (Linebaugh and others) builds a new cylinder (and barrel), it locks up as tight as a Freedom Arms with tight tolerance on barrel-cylinder gap. So the differences start to go away when you get to that level of work. The problem is, I think the price is now up to about $5-6k and one or two year wait.

seasterl said:
What's attractive about a five-shot Ruger big-bore is the transfer bar safety. Freedom Arms does NOT condone carrying with a live round under the hammer. By the time the custom builder (Linebaugh and others) builds a new cylinder (and barrel), it locks up as tight as a Freedom Arms with tight tolerance on barrel-cylinder gap. So the differences start to go away when you get to that level of work. The problem is, I think the price is now up to about $5-6k and one or two year wait.

I've had Freedom Arms guns. Missing the transfer bar is a big deal. Biggest dealer in Anchorage will not carry them because of that. The Freedom Arms gun is a 5 shooter, then you can't have a round under the hammer so now it's a 4 shooter. If you are carrying it for something big, that will bite you, that is important!!! I'll stick with the Ruger EVERY TIME!!!

Xrayist said:
I really like my Rugers, but if I were to spend that amount of money, I would buy a Freedom Arms.

That I can relate to, Spending big money on a ruger imo is a bit numb jmo..
I love Ruger revolvers but would never invest a lotta coin in one. I'd move
up to Feedoms Arms and never look back, Rugers are a great gun by the time
you put a bunch of work in one you coulda have had the best, for the same money! ps

The FA may make better financial sense on paper but they are like a surgeons scalpel, highly efficient but sterile. The custom Ruger lets a person have the same level of performance with your own particular tastes applied such as bisley option, case color, barrel and front sight options etc. I own FA guns but they leave me cold compared to my custom Rugers.

The first time I saw a Freedom Arms it was a silhouette model sitting atop a pistol rest gracing the page of a gun magazine decades ago. Later in life, I would enjoy shooting the FA83 in IHMSA and it is, IMO, the best shooting sport and Freedom Arms pretty much owns revolver class in IHMSA! (I even shot mine in revolver and production classes.) But on the other hand, if I were to do a big game hunt or require protection from bears, etc., it actually makes more sense to use a Ruger (or a modified Ruger) because of the transfer bar safety. And if you bagged that big trophy bull, bear, elk, etc., with a Linebaugh-modified Ruger, it also makes a lot of sense to hold on to that same gun because of the memories and pass on to your son or nephew. So in this case, resale value becomes a moot point. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Freedom Arms (owned six over the years), and I think they are the best for extreme accuracy at long distances. But unless I'm sniping game at long range with a handgun (which I don't!), the Ruger is better suited for hunting or protection with six shots and a transfer bar.

Latest posts