.17 calibers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not a convertible, but I have a Thompson Contender in 17 HRM, with a 14" barrel. What an incredible caliber. Super fast with laser sharp accuracy. I would love to have something else in a 17 caliber.

Can say I've never seen a convertible 17 before. In a single action revolver, is the barrel long enough to get all the energy out of the bullet? I've read you need a longer barrel to really appreciate what the caliber can do.

eveled

Hawkeye
I googled .17 caliber and found 13 different cartridges! I never would have thought there could be that many.

Which ones are the Ruger convertibles chambered for?

NikA

Buckeye
Given that the .17 rimfires use the same diameter bullet (and often the same bullets), unlike the .22s, I suspect whatever accuracy problems there may be with the .22 convertibles do not apply here.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
The .22 jet problems was caused by case set back, A.K.A, bad case design....the same engineers that design under hood knuckle room on modern vehicles....

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
i currently have 4 .17 / .223's and 2 Mack 4's, a lone .17 HRM, and last , but not least, a Chiappa Single Action 1873 , .17 HRM... BARELY GETTING BY WITH .17 TEENS...

There would be more "bullet jump" before the 17M2 hits the forcing cone vs the 17 HMR but I doubt that would relate to a significant change in accuracy and maybe not enough to be noticeable from a handgun.
I really liked the 17M2 for varmint control use where ricochets were not acceptable but I'm not sure what niche it fills as a revolver round.

contender

Ruger Guru
In the revolvers,, the 17 MachII was a slow seller,,, but the reasoning behind it's mfg,, was due to a percentage of folks who requested it,, AND it was an EASY thing to make.
As for performance in a revolver,, since they are kinda rare,, mine doesn't get used on critters. I use other guns.

Latest posts