Taking down a SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Acorn

Buckeye
I want to replace the springs in my SP101s. The seam between the trigger guard assembly and the frame is nearly invisible. When I reassemble will it still fit as nice?

NikA

Buckeye
I would say it's possible to get it to fit as nice, but in my experience it will be difficult. Be prepare to spend some time with a non-marring object "adjusting" it to get it back into place.

PS: the reason it fits so well from the factory is that it's finished after assembly.

57springer

Buckeye
NikA said:
I would say it's possible to get it to fit as nice, but in my experience it will be difficult. Be prepare to spend some time with a non-marring object "adjusting" it to get it back into place.

PS: the reason it fits so well from the factory is that it's finished after assembly.
Interesting , thanks for the education !

paboxcall

Bearcat
robmkivseries70 said:
The main spring can be replaced with out removing the trigger assembly.
Easily too, I just did the main hammer spring on my SP101 and it was a quick swap out. Few minutes effort and a better trigger pull.

NikA

Buckeye
Main spring can be replaced, but trigger return spring cannot (it's the takedown detent spring as well) and its bore cannot be addressed either. Personally, on the several samples I have addressed, these changes make more difference in trigger pull than a mainspring swap.

Sugar River

Buckeye
57springer said:
NikA said:

Interesting , thanks for the education !

They deliberately heat treat the TG to a softer condition than the frame so it can be "adjusted" to
a near perfect joint. I don't remember precisely how they do it, It's been 25 years since I was in the plant.

batuche

Bearcat
Best video for disassembly/assembly of a Ruger SP101 I have found is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLUs1veJxTc

Follow along and practice, you won't bung anything up if you're careful

Wonderful video. Thanks for posting it.

Can't help but wonder if perhaps the trigger group latch might have been slightly "massaged" to make its release/re-engagement function a little easier.

Full disclosure: I do not own an SP101, but I do own a Security Six and a GP100, and the procedure is similar for these guns . . . but the "Six" and the GP do not take down or reassemble quite that readily. Can anyone address this?

If there's a similar nice video for the "Six" and/or GP I'd really appreciate seeing it. :mrgreen:

batuche

Bearcat
Ale-8(1),

Glad someone found it helpful.

Of course it's always possible that the trigger group was "massaged" to aid assembly in this video; it takes somewhat more force to re-engage mine yet the procedure remains the same. BTW, I've pinched my finger more than once while squeezing the trigger assembly back into the frame = OUCH!

Everyone will be a somewhat anxious the first time they disassemble their SP101, I certainly was. I'm still very careful about not pulling the trigger with that assembly removed.

Just watch the video closely, particularly the trigger position prior to the next step in disassembly or assembly, as with the hammer pivot pin and hammer for example. Also, try to keep the transfer bar oriented correctly during assembly. I haven't done this enough times to do it in my sleep, just enough to feel comfortable that I won't bugger anything up in the process. So far, so good.

woodsy

Blackhawk
One of the Ruger-made factory video's (can't remember which one) shows an assembler using a plastic-faced hammer to fully seat the group. So that's what I used on my GP and SP.

batuche

Bearcat
Back when I put the Wilson Spring Kit in mine (a huge improvement) I stopped there. First time I've seen MCARBO's SP101 takedown video, thanks for posting.

batuche

Bearcat
After seeing it posted above by Bearcat I had a few hours to spare so couldn't resist performing an abbreviated version of this MCARBO polishing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txbCmzM4v6A&t=875s&ab_channel=MCARBO

It was abbreviated in that I only polished and didn't install any washers or change any springs. It was actually a fairly rewarding experience, almost therapeutic. The only glitch I ran into was re-installing the Pawl Plunger - that little sucker jumped out a few times while attempting to tuck it back under the Pawl.

I'm not sure how much difference the polishing made in trigger pull as I may have already fired and dry fired this pistol enough to smooth things out. Either way I'm glad I made the effort as I did find and remove a small metal burr during the reaming out of the channel for the trigger return spring with the 1/4" bit, plus I now know my way around the trigger a little better.

I used Flitz as my polishing agent because I already had some, plus I already owned a Dremel with the associated bits so the job required no additional investment on my part. Last, because I already owned a can I wiped every part down with Boeshield T-9 before re-installing.

Thanks again to Bearcat for posting.