MOA Ruger LCR357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tgiv

Bearcat
When it comes to a carry gun choice one of the criteria will be, what shoots the bad guy and not others = MOA of sorts.

Manufacturers love to conceal such information but it's important to everyone that might be involved in life-death situations imposed on us, rather than their sales.

In writing Ruger one day, glad to get a response - as someone above in this thread said true - they refuse to give an MOA ... but reported each of the LCR357s cannot leave until it shoots within a 3' circle at 7 yards. Well, that's not a MOA but math says MOA=43 ... or within a 43" circle at 100 yards.

Now even though this is an OLD thread, the topic is still current (not to mention looters in the news) so I want other manufactures like the SprArm MOD.2 3.3" 45ACP tackhammer to comment on "MOA" and maybe some other candidates for "carry"

If any reader knows the latter's MOA, please comment!

contender

Ruger Guru
MOA or minute of angle,, is often only associated with rifles concerning linger distance accuracy. OR,, it's used to describe the size of a dot in many of the red dot optics sold now.

Most handguns,, especially handguns used for carry & self defense,,, are not judged by MOA,, because they are not tested for that. Even big bore handguns,, for hunting aren't judged that way,, due to the fact that too many variables are involved.

Even your example of what Ruger told you,, points to SD handguns NOT being judged by MOA.

I do not think the manufacturers are trying to hide it,, I just think that's NOT how they judge the accuracy of them.

NikA

Buckeye
I think there are people that measure this for various handguns and loads using a Ransom Rest. However, many of them will be shooting a competition based on paper target scoring, so the guns they will be testing will rarely be models particularly suitable for concealed carry. The rimfire Bullseye crowd comes to mind.

I'd guess that a failure to hit your adversary at typical self-defense distances is most likely due to inadequate marksmanship, not an inaccurate handgun, unless you're talking about a really junky pistol.

5of7

Hunter
The single most accurate handgun that I own is a 7-1/2" Redhawk in .44 Mg. It has a 3 power Burris scope attached, and with it, on a good day, I can keep my shots in 4" at 100 measured yards. This is shooting from the sitting position with my back supported, and my wrists resting on my knees. In short a hunting position. I shoot at a white paper plate with a 4" black spot in the center. I would like to say that the holes are always in the center of the plate, but they are not. I would also like to say that like to say that the groups are always 4", but they usually run more like 6" or so.