Question on the OA Ruger revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Is there a guesstimate on when Ruger went from the narrow triggers to the wide serrated triggers? And might I ask why ? I have noticed this in blue and stainless.

Regards

contender

Ruger Guru
I have no idea as to when they made any changes. I do know that on my OA's,, the blued ones, all have a "narrower" trigger,, EXCEPT for the Factory Brassies, which used the Super Blackhawk trigger. And yet,, my stainless OA's all have a wider trigger,, but they aren't as wide as the SBH triggers.
However,, I've noticed that some of my other stainless guns also have the wider trigger as seen on the OA.

G2

Hunter
The first production guns had the skinny triggers in combination with the aluminum alloy grip frames.

When they went to steel grip frames the triggers went wide.

As mentioned by Contender the Brass Grip Frames used the Wide Super Blackhawk Trigger (Grooved), probably safe to assume it was the "Part" they had in the parts bin / for the OM Super Blackhawk.

Then as the Old Model Super Blackhawk got changed to a New Model,,,
The Old Model Super Blackhawk Triggers, in the parts bin, were used up in the Old Army's.

This is when I assume Ruger only needed to make a Old Model Trigger, for the Old Army ONLY, and that's when the new production Wide Old Model Old Army Trigger went SMOOTH. My observations have been these triggers show up in later production guns with the "WARNING" on the barrel. (~1977?)

As for Stainless, I have only had 3, SN# 646, 145-0242x, 0480X all early production guns, All have grooved wide triggers, and no "Warning" on the barrel.

I also think that any "STEEL" grip frame Ruger has ever made has ONLY a WIDE trigger slot. My thinking here is Casting, Milling, Manufacture Process?...

My assumptions are my observations, I welcome other's knowledge, thoughts, assumptions or ideas.... :wink:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1985 - Old Army blue steel grip frame #XRN-3 (replaced OM alloy #XR3-RED size) with wide trigger slot and is the only OM GF in carbon steel other than the SBH.

Stainless Old Army had the wide slot and wide trigger from their introduction.

Latest posts