weight difference ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The alloy XR3 = 2 1/2 oz.

The steel XR3 = 6 1/2 oz. This is the version w/o the lock. Those that accommodate the lock will weight very slightly less but with the lock included will add about an ounce.

Both grip frames had the pins installed.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
My first Ruger was an Old Model .45 Colt Blackhawk. I have owned a few other Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. When I bought a New Model .357 Flattop, I was amazed at how heavy it was. I know all the gun writers begged for all steel single actions, but I'm partial to the older ones with the aluminum grip frame. Now you start shooting .44 Magnums and up, heavier is better. :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
All the old model 357s were made on the mid size frame. All the new model 357s are made on the large size frame until the new model flattops came out on the mid size frame in 2005: even with their steel grip frames and ejector housings they're a lot lighter.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I should have been more specific. The NM .357 I bought was a 50th Anniversary model, built on the mid-sized frame. The steel grip frame makes it a lot heavier than the original .357 Flattops that I have owned.

Latest posts