Security six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kevin masten

Blackhawk
How common or uncommon are the 2 3/4" barreled blued security six revolvers? Reason I ask is that I never see any either for sale or hear of anyone owning one. Curiosity compelled me to ask.

Great thanksgiving to everyone.

They are not uncommon, they can be found every now and again (check Gunbroker) but people really like them and so they hold on to them. Because of their size they balance and feel really good in the hand and I think that's why they are a big hit. Now, if you want to try to find a harder one to get, look for a low back 2 3/4 inch :D

I know a number of people who own one (or more, me for example :oops: ) and they wouldn't get rid of theirs probably until the selling price got into the mid 4 figures, that's how well they like them. For me, they are in my Six series collection and I also have a blue and stainless shooter (notice my avatar).

As has been said, a lot of times the hunt is the fun.

As our esteemed friend above has said, they are not necessarily scarce, but, they've not been made in a long time, and there are more "Six" collectors now than ever before. I'm still adding to my collection and do not see myself parting with any, other than to trade a spare to fill a void.

And even for the non-collectors, the 2-3/4" security Six is one of the best shooting and strongest snubbies ever. There's no reason to part with them.

hittman

Staff member
I agree with the above.
Many own them.
Few sell them.

M25r3bAh.jpg

hittman

Staff member
kevin masten said:
Thanks for all of the input. The speed six stainless in 9mm is scarce! Right?

Pretty uncommon around these parts. I've never seen a 9mm blue in person but would love to own one.

If you search completed auctions on Gun Broker I think you will see these guns bring $800 PLUS.

I looked long and hard for a 2 3/4" Six here in CA. Of course I found a blue 'Security Six" .357 in great condition for a fair, if high, price just when I'd spent my entire allowance on other guns!

Three years later I found a near-new 2 3/4" blue "Police Security Six" .38 at a really decent price locally and acquired it (with the aid of a little domestic perjury....). It's not goin' anywhere except to the range!

I agree that these guns, once acquired, stay with that owner for a long time. Your hands and eyes love them, so you do too. Finding them here in CA is complicated by the fact that few or none of them are C&R vintage yet, so they can't be "imported" to a CA dealer legally.

SO, if you are thinking of moving to CA (do I hear snorts and upchuckles?) BRING ALL YOUR SIXES WITH YOU! We want them! (And with the price of everything else out here, you may need the cash....).

I just saw a 2-3/4" Blue security Six 357 mag sell on Gunbroker for $865.00 Plus $55 for shipping, not sure if there's a credit card fee, but then they charge tax before it ships. That's an expensive gun. It was nice, came in a box with a manual, but still it's a used gun.

hittman

Staff member
Chief said:
Beautiful set up! What holster is that?
Ralph

Thank you. The holster is an old Safety Speed brand, made in Monticello CA and out of business a number of years now.

Ten years ago a guy on eBay had bought much of their remaining inventory and was selling stuff like this in the $25 range I believe. Being left handed I took the opportunity to stock up.