Fitting magnum cylinder to single six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've got a variety of single sixes and three magnum cylinders. I think one magnum cylinder actually fits two different revolvers.

But I also have a single six which doesn't have a magnum cylinder. It's actually an old model marked "magnum." If I find a cylinder, do I need to worry about being new model or old model?

And I understand being too short. But if it's too long, is it just a simple matter of making it shorter so it fits? Is there anything else that needs to be done to the cylinder to work properly? And can most gunsmiths do the work?

This is one of those projects I've been meaning to get around to for a while now. The "new model, vs old model" cylinder question has actually stumped me the most. I've not been able to find an answer to this.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No, new and old model cyls are the same functionally.

But old model cyls are fluted including new model cyls from '73 to '76, Thereafter, NM cyls are non fluted. That may or may not matter to you. The smooth cyl is easy to tell apart from the 22 LR cyl.

Correct! If cyl is too long, just stone the gas ring at the front of the cyl, focused on keeping it square and flat.

The only other potential issue is the bar/cyl gap. If it's under about .004", the cyl can possibly drag on the barrel once the cyl and barrel heat up and expand from shooting.

After the cyl is installed, shoot 3 or 4 cyls full and check for dragging. If none, do nothing. If it drags when hot it's difficult or impossible to cock the hammer and rotate the cyl. File/hone the end of the barrel, being focused on keeping it square to the cyl. The light space between cyl and barrel should be straight and even.

Anyone can do these two fitments, doesn't take a gunsmith.

Hondo:
Again, thanks for the information. I just bought a fluted mag cylinder on Ebay. Hopefully it fits. I've got several single sixes, so it should fit one of them at least.

On a side note, Ebay now charges sales tax! Yuck. However, if you can sort through all the rubble, there are usually a selection of different Ruger cylinders. .22, 9mm, 45acp etc.