Does someone make a better cleaner rear sight for Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Enigma said:
My understanding is that the BFR revolver rear sight is interchangeable with the Blackhawks. It presents a cleaner appearance, IMHO.

I hope you're right - $25.00 vs +$100.00 is quite a difference:

https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/sights/magnum-research-bfr-factory-rear-sight-bfr1019as.asp

$5.00 shipping. :)

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
I think the 2 sights above are one and the same.
Pretty sure LPA makes the one for Magnum Research to use on the BFR.
Crazy price difference. Wow!
I guess you do get the front sight with the one.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
bisleyfan41 said:
I think the 2 sights above are one and the same.
Pretty sure LPA makes the one for Magnum Research to use on the BFR.
Crazy price difference. Wow!
I guess you do get the front sight with the one.

The BFR rear sight arrived today from Kahr.

The good news - it fits. Drops in, adjusting screw is the same threading, it and retaining pin hole line up perfect. The spring recesses in the BH frame are front & rear, in the sight they're left & right. Using either works fine, leaving the Ruger springs in is easiest & seems to give a tad more tension on the sight when elevating. Didn't bother trying but I presume all springs could be left in.

Sight picture is excellent. Nice wide flat blade with horizontal serrations, slightly rounded edges. Good sunlight between sight blade and rear notch. But ....

The sight blade is considerably higher than the factory blade on my 4 5/8" 41 Magnum. I use a 6 o'clock hold so I think it will be fine. May shoot high for some depending on caliber, barrel length, bullet weight, etc.

The sight base requires a bit of fitting in order to sit flat & dialed down fully against the frame. The rear sight cutout on the BH frame isn't square cut, it has a slight round to it. The front bottom edge of the rear sight body is sharply square. So you'll end up with daylight and a rear sight that can't be screwed down fully against the frame. Takes about 5 minutes with a fine bastard file to round the squared bottom leading edge of the sight to make it mate with the frame. No dremel, just a file. Touch up bluing takes fine and is not visible when assembled.

The retaining pin that comes with the sight is a tad tight, I reused the original pin. The sight hangs off the rear of the frame and above the hammer. On mine the front of the hammer barely clears the bottom of the sight - by about a credit card thickness, but it clears.

The sight also works on a Redhawk.

For $24.00 and only $5.00 shipping, may be worth it.