Need help with Blackhawk loading gate won't open

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dear forum brothers - I have a problem with a NM Blackhawk - loading gate won't open. Yes the spring is in the right position, it is not popped outside the loading gate cam. I even changed the spring and the loading gate, did no good. When I take the cylinder and base pin out of the gun it works fine, opens every time. As soon as I put them back in it won't open. Any ideas? This is frustrating me!

Rclark

Hunter
I am confused. You have to open the loading gate to remove the cylinder.... I don't see the difference between opening the loading gate, or opening the loading gate to remove the cylinder.... Sorry if I seem dense :) . The loading gate won't open if the revolver is cocked.

Sorry for not explaining clearly enough. I can get the loading gate to open when the cylinder is in the gun by pulling back the hammer just a little and then releasing it. But this is not normal, not how it should operate. After cycling the action a few times the loading gate sticks shut again.

Antipaladin

Single-Sixer
Is the gate detent spring slipped or have a rough finish? Might also check the upper right grip screw and lower right screw that locks the hammer pivot. I've had that happen before if I install the trigger assembly without putting in the gate first then futzing the detent spring to get it in. If I'm stuck I just carefully strip the revolver down and put it back together watching a YT video on it. Make sure I'm not having a brain fart and sometimes I learn something new

Gate detent spring had a rough finish, looked kind of chewed up at the tip. I had a spare one on hand and changed it, but it didn't make any difference. After I assembled everything the gate still sticks. Always put the gate in first, then the detent spring and cylinder lock, then the trigger and hammer assemblys. Have taken it apart multiple times last night double checking everything, and no luck. Watched several assembly videos last night too.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I believe you have a transfer bar issue.

The plunger in the rear end of the cyl pin keeps backward tension on the transfer bar so it doesn't hang up on the firing pin when cocking the hammer.

The loading gate is blocked from opening with hammer cocked by the transfer bar.

Assemble the gun w/o the transfer bar and see if gate works correctly. If it does, try a different transfer bar of the proper lengtn for your frame size.

Johnnu2

Hunter
+1 on Hondo44 is THE MAN.....
You can trust his advice just a little over 100% of the time.

J.