SP101 Differences

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NikA

Buckeye
Chamber depth is the only difference. Early SP-101s (initially only available in .38) had a slightly shorter cylinder/frame window;.357 models of this vintage are marked for 125gr loads only. The difference is only noticable if you have both side by side.

I have one of the .38 only SP101 models. I'm sorry I don't have a 357 to compare it to though. I can say it is a nice shooting revolver, I've never had a problem with it. Not too heavy. Usually pretty accurate, even at 25 yards. I've been very pleased with it, and actually shoot it quite a bit.

Are you wanting a .38 only SP101?

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
So, how lucky would you have to be to buy a .357 Magnum cylinder in order to upgrade from .38 Spec. and have it time correctly? I have a .357 but am wondering.

NikA

Buckeye
There are usually a number of SP-101 cylinder/crane assemblies available on the various auction sites (eBay, GB, etc.). My bet is that they'd time correctly with an SP of similar vintage. On the other hand, one could easily ream the chambers of a .38 SP to be magnum length and not worry about any of the rest.