3 screw shooting high

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I recently acquired a nice 3 screw super. First range trip with 429421's over 20.0 of 2400 showed that the gun is VERY accurate. However it hits about 2 1/2- 3 inches high at 25 yards with the sight screw bottomed out. It looks like the bottom of the rear sight, where the sight notch is touches the frame above the hammer. It looks like I might be able to dismount the sight and carefully remove metal from the rear sight where it is touching the frame above the hammer. Anyone with experience with this situation or advice feel free to comment.

Thanks.

choirboy

Bearcat
I had an old model .41 with a short front sight. A previous owner had filed the rear blade even with the top of the sight body. It printed 2" high at 50 yards. I never touched it.

I have a 1977 Single Six .22LR/.22 Mag that always shot ~ 1" high with .22 LR (couldn't afford Mag ammo). I lived with it until my son got to the age that he could handle it. I ran across a post here that said the front sight was too low, call the Folks at Ruger. So I called and the very nice Lady said 'Sure, they would send me a higher front sight, no charge.' and was kinda curious as to why it took me over 30 years to ask. And I'm not even from Kentucky. I had to admit I was a bit lazy but didn't want to pass that trait on.

contender

Ruger Guru
The Single-Six has a replaceable front sight. The .44 like his doesn't. As such, an easily replaced part like the rear blade is the cheapest & easiest to alter,, without permanently altering the gun.

Also,,, try shooting it at 50 yds, or 100 yds. That may make a difference.
Another thought,, try working with different loads,, to see if you can get an accurate load that regulates to the sight better.
(Vaquero shooters do this a lot.)

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I have soft soldered a piece of brass to the top of the front sight on one of my two SA Rugers. Thinking about doing it to the other gun. Yes, I can get it zeroed if I shoot zingers. But I am happier playing with Trail Boss and coated lipstick loads. Not sure why but that is where I am right now in my shooting and reloading interests.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I have a 1967 3 screw SBH that has the same issue. Short front sight.
Have thought about possibly using something like JB Weld to build up the front a bit then file to match the current profile.

The other option involves having a smith mill out the existing sight blade and making the base into one with a roll pin to secure the blade. That would preclude needing to solder on a new front sight and reblue the barrel.