Ruger Security Six "lowback frame"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
A fellow CA gunowner has what I'm certain is a lowback stainless Security Six and is looking for a) grips and b) ballpark value. Serial number is a "no prefix" 86407511. The serial number appears almost hand stamped, is on the frame grip butt. I did a lookup on the Ruger website and got a "cannot be located".

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1644450

I have several good photos, can't post but can e-mail if someone wants to assure it's a lowback. One shot shows current Hogue grips with the top of them flying way high on the top grip frame, so I'm quite certain between that and serial number that it's a low back.

Where would one find grips for this gun? Most carry the late 151 and higher prefix grip only.

hittman

Staff member
The factory wood grips are easy to find and not expensive. Put a WTB ad in the Classified section here.

If it is a Security Six LOW back stainless it a.) will have 150 or 151 prefix and b.) is pretty rare.

Rubber aftermarket grips will be near impossible to find. Not sure they were even made.

Here's a picture of LOW back grip frames.

4U4vxTVh.jpg

dfletcher

Blackhawk
^^
Regarding the serial number, no prefix at all. It's straight up "86407511" so I presume this predates the prefix series, yes?

Just a SWAG, seller doesn't say - would these fit a series 150? Can't tell, thought they might look familiar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Original-Walnut-Ruger-Security-Six-Service-Six-Square-Butt-Pistol-Grips/193652015427?hash=item2d168f4143:g:~8MAAOSwNrpfVZGv

hittman

Staff member
No, those grips are not low back.

All Six Series double actions had a prefix unless of course the s/n has been altered.

hittman

Staff member
dfletcher said:
^^
Regarding the serial number, no prefix at all. It's straight up "86407511" so I presume this predates the prefix series, yes?

Instead of 86407511 could it be 164-07511?

If so it's not a low back.

I'd REALLY like to see a picture of the entire gun including the mysterious s/n. I could be wrong, it's happened before.

I would like to see the gun and the serial number in good definition.

There is also the possibility, however remote, that it was a firearm that was used in a crime and had the s/n removed. Or, the first part, maybe even just the first number of the s/n go obliterated somehow. Then it got into the system somehow and the owner, distributor, FFL, whoever, received permission to put a new serial number on it from the BATFE, or just said the hell with it and stamped a number, not knowing the law.

But in the case of the obliterated s/n and new BATFE number there is paperwork that should follow the gun everywhere.

Really need to see, clearly:

1. a good side profile with the grips removed
2. a good clear picture of the serial number

With those two things it can be determined what it is exactly.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
hittman said:
dfletcher said:
^^

Instead of 86407511 could it be 164-07511?

If so it's not a low back.

I'd REALLY like to see a picture of the entire gun including the mysterious s/n. I could be wrong, it's happened before.

I've asked the CalGuns OP to put up a photo on his original thread. I've looked, double checked and it is 86407511 but as mentioned, amatuerish looking as heck. As in each number oddly spaced and vertically off, as though done one at a time.

When did Ruger start making the Security Six in stainless?

Security Six's began shipping about 1972, Stainless ones came out in 1975

There is no "Pre-dating a prefix on these"

Once again a reminder; Removed, obliterated or altered serial Numbers are illegal UNLESS authorized by the BATF and you have the documentation. If this is a bogus serial number and it sure seems that way, run away as it can't be made right after the fact.

street

Hunter
It looks as if the original serial number was removed an another bogus serial number was stamped on it. As sceva said "Run away as it can't be made right after the fact." I will add one more thing to what he said. RUN VERY VERY FAST AWAY."

I have examined the pictures and here's what I come up with:

Two things stand out to me from the photos.

One, it is definitely a low back frame Security Six, which would be prefixed 150- (although there are some out there that are 151- prefix but they are pretty uncommon). As such the grips would have to be those made specifically for the 150- prefix s/n's. Grips can be found on eBay, Numrich Arms and other places.

Two, that serial number WAS NOT put on by Ruger, the Ruger s/n would be smaller, deeper and very much aligned correctly because it is done by roll stamp machine.

It does appear as that part of the frame has had something done to it.

That begs the question, what is the complete background story behind this gun? If it was legally restamped, there should be paperwork that needs to stay with the gun.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
sceva said:

Once again a reminder; Removed, obliterated or altered serial Numbers are illegal UNLESS authorized by the BATF and you have the documentation. If this is a bogus serial number and it sure seems that way, run away as it can't be made right after the fact.

Interesting re DOM for the stainless. This is definitely a low back. Correct me if I'm wrong - low backs (150 & early 151 series) were made 1972 to 1975. The first stainless ones came out in 1975. That means a stainless low back would have to be a 151 series, correct? And if so, a stainless 151 low back would be uncommon?

Attached is a link to GB with photos added:

https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/1894623/stainless-ruger-security-six-low-back-151-series#latest

Not to go all "Antiques Roadshow" and setting aside the not insignificant legal complications (if they exist) but is it possible the OP has something very early or unusual?

hittman

Staff member
Yes, very early (for stainless .... not for the Six Series) and a little unusual.

But the s/n KILLS it unless paperwork accompanies it to ensure it's legal.

Maybe you should PM Chet15 to see what his thoughts are.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
hittman said:
Yes, very early (for stainless .... not for the Six Series) and a little unusual.

But the s/n KILLS it unless paperwork accompanies it to ensure it's legal.

Maybe you should PM Chet15 to see what his thoughts are.

Thanks, did so.

chet15

Hawkeye
dfletcher said:
sceva said:

Interesting re DOM for the stainless. This is definitely a low back. Correct me if I'm wrong - low backs (150 & early 151 series) were made 1972 to 1975. The first stainless ones came out in 1975. That means a stainless low back would have to be a 151 series, correct? And if so, a stainless 151 low back would be uncommon?

Attached is a link to GB with photos added:

https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/1894623/stainless-ruger-security-six-low-back-151-series#latest

Not to go all "Antiques Roadshow" and setting aside the not insignificant legal complications (if they exist) but is it possible the OP has something very early or unusual?

The first lowback stainless guns were in the 150-55xxx range.
I presume the serial number was put on by the ATF... but without paperwork, who knows.
Chet15

I 'm not sure exactly what the BATF requires today, but the last we did some years ago the letters "ATF" were part of the number, and it was long,at least 6-7 digits....that being said the fact the numbers are altered, redone, obliterated or deleted, I would NOT touch it,,,no need to have ONE bad apple spoil the barrel...I know , I know, you will always have your day in court,BUT in the mean time they confiscate, and hold till "disposition", and evidence firearms in storage do NOT do well....I wish I had a nickle for everyone we had to redo over the years......worst was a Belgium A-5 Sweet Sixteen. with the "case number" etched in the side of the receiver!!!! :shock: :roll: 8)

Latest posts