How accurate is 9mm in Ruger SA convetrible 357 Mag / 9mm?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
How accurate is 9mm ammo in Ruger SA convertible 357 Mag / 9mm? Recently, I had seen a comments that 9mm is not as accurate as 357 Magnum from the same revolver.

Thanks

MIshooter

Single-Sixer
I shot mine at 50ft with a known accurate load in another 9mm and groups were in the 4-5" compared to sub 1" in a 1911 9mm. 38 SPL or 357 were in the 1-2" range at the same distance. Maybe if the cylinder throats were opened up it might do better. Mine measure .356.

I've had a couple 9mm convertibles and still own one. Extremely accurate with 9mm ammo.

The story of 9mm bullets rattling down the bore in a .357 revolver is often repeated, but my revolvers never got that memo.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Some folks mentioned that 9mm has problematic accuracy in 357 barrels because 9mm OD is actually .355. However, when going to SAAMI specification, both 9mm and 357 Magnum barrels have groove dia .355 https://saami.org/technical-information/cartridge-chamber-drawings/ . Same thing if you go on Lothar Walther website https://www.lothar-walther.de/barrel-blank/pistol/standard/ .

When Ruger and S&W revolver barrels are slugged, are they showing .357 dia instead of .355?

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Mine shoots the 9mm almost as accurately as it shoots .357 weak loads. I certainly get groups between 1 and 2 inches at 50 feet with the 9mm cylinder. If you are looking for a gilt edge target revolver the S & W 9mm would be better. But the Convertible is not bad. I find myself using the 9mm cylinder quite a bit now. It is so cheap and easy to load 9mm for it. And I think trying to mess with the throat diameter on the 9mm cylinder would be a mistake. The throat is actually tapered to better control the bullet.

loaded round

Hunter
I fitted a 9mm cylinder to my OM 357 Blackhawk with a 6.5 in barrel several years ago and have found it to shoot 1.5 to 2.0 groups at 25 yards using my 124 gr lead reloads. Never expected that from a revolver that was never originally set up as a convertible 9mm/357 firearm.

9cb6VHnl.jpg

Hard to tell in this picture, but it is a 5 1/2 inch barrel.

Here's my only 357/9mm convertible. I think it shoots the same with 9mm or 357, highly accurate with both. It's got a steel grip frame so the balance, I think, is better than the same Blackhawk with an alloy frame. In fact, it might even be slightly more accurate with 9mm. Next time I go to the range, I'll try to take note of specifics.

Onty

Single-Sixer
@WAYNO, @woodperson, @loaded round, @Kevin.

When shooting factory (or loaded full power) 357 Magnum and 9mm, any big difference in point of impact on 25 yards?

Onty said:

When shooting factory (or loaded full power) 357 Magnum and 9mm, any big difference in point of impact on 25 yards?

At 25 yards, it's close enough I do not adjust the sights.

At 50 yards there is a measurable difference. Not because the trajectory is substantially different, but because the heavier and faster .357 loads recoil differently. The extra recoil and muzzle flip cause for a higher point of impact. Even that is not absolute. Shooting styles, shooting from a bench as opposed to off-hand, barrel length, all add or subtract from trajectory.

Tell ya what...
Next time at the range, I'm gonna do a slightly more scientific test, and actually shoot .357's against 9mm in my NM Flattop convertible.

I have discovered 9mm in this revolver shoots so well, and does everything I need, so I almost never shoot .357's in it. When I need a .357, I carry a dedicated .357 revolver.

Rclark

Hunter
in contrast to Wayno, I don't shoot any 9mm in my convertible flattop. No need, as the .357 cartridge can be loaded to any velocity that I care to shoot and bullets from 125g to 180g if desired. 158g SWC is what I standardized on though. And around 1000-1100fps for velocity. I did run 1 box of 9mm through the revolver just for function, but that was it. Can't say much about accuracy, but I am sure it is easily minute of tin can.

I can see the draw to 9mm if you don't reload though. Ammo is usually cheap and plentiful. I don't know how .38 Special compares price wise. It used to be cheap too compared to .357 cartridges.

Onty said:

Hello, I finally made it to the range earlier today. It's been hot here in Texas and my range is outdoors. Anyway, I took my Blackhawk convertible and a box each of 357 and 9mm. I shot offhand standing, then tried with sandbags, and then shot at some steel plates, all 25 yards.

To answer your question: At 25 yards, I did not see any major difference in point of impact between 357 and the 9mm.

I do reload, but the 357's were pretty close to factory (158 grain with 2400 powder.) Usually I load lighter, but these were fairly stout. My 9mm load was 115 grain bullets with HS-6 powder. A very good load I'm using in my other 9mm's also.

I really felt like the 9mm was much better in terms of accuracy. From a sandbag, I was shooting really good groups. For me anyway, I'm not the best shot, so I'm not going to tell you how many inches. But I was impressed anyway. I was shooting low today, but all the groups were consistent, i.e. both 357 and 9mm were equally low. That was me, not the bullet or the gun.

My Blackhawk has a steel grip frame, so the recoil was obviously more mild in the 9mm, but with the 357, it was very pleasant as well. I think I shoot more 357 and 38's in this gun than 9mm, only because I have other guns strictly for 9mm.

hope this helps...