Removing Roll Pin on Grip Frame for Grip Adjustment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I just put a pair of Pachmayr Gripper grips on my Service Six. There is a gap all around. I was reading a review on Amazon and the reviewer said you have to remove the roll pin on the frame to get the proper fit with no gaps. Is this advisable?

remove it ,see if it works,,,just don't loose it,,,I recall the locating pin was still needed for the Grippers??? if need be,shorten it??? you can always replace the newer roll pins, its the OLD models that are tough to replace ( find)... 8) :roll: :wink:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Just tap it out? I wasn't quite clear. These are Uncle Mike's and their is a gap all the way around. I have them in a S&W and there is no gap. I was looking at the Pachmayr since I have them on other guns And really like them. Reading the reviews several people complained of a gap all the way around. One reviewer said he removed the roll pin and it fit perfectly.

So just tap out the pin? Is putting it back just tapping it back in?

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I tapped the pin out. Gap is reduced but still there. Never had that gap on any other rubber grips. I don't think these are real Uncle Mike's. There is no screw hole on the other panel. Maybe I'll try the Pachmayr's.

Getting conflicting info. In your original post you said they were Pachmayr Grippers. Then later you said they were Uncle Mikes.

Are they two piece grips or the type that is "hinged" (and you have to spread them a bit to put them on)?

If two piece, just put one side on and see where they are in relation to the frame. Do they cover half or more of the thickness of the frame or less? Then do the same with the other side and see. Also this will let you see if it is the roll pin that is obstructing them or it might be something else. If one piece hinged, put them on and squeeze them to feel if you can feel anything that is causing them to not seat correctly.

The roll pin can be easily tapped out with a small hammer and can be put back in easily.

Also, look at the inside of the grip and tell us what the markings are. Pachmayr will have letters and numbers somewhere on the inside like RS6/C or Ruger Speed Six Round Butt or Ruger Security Six Large Grip, etc. That will tell you exactly what they were made to fit.

I have never had a set of Pachmayr grips made for a Six series revolver not fit perfectly. I have also never had or used a set of Uncle Mikes grips so I can't comment on them.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Ok. Sorry I was vague. I was asking about the fit of the Pachmayr Gripper grips for the Service Six. I have them on some S&W revolvers and I love them. They fit like a glove and make me much more accurate. I was about to add them to my shopping cart on Amazon and was reading reviews. Several complained about the fit with the gaps and they included pictures. One of the reviewers stated that the only way to get his to fit his Ruger was to remove that roll pin.

The pair I currently have I got on eBay. They look just like Uncle Mike's but they're not. Uncle Mike's has a screw hole in both sides. The one I have only has a screw hole on the one side. This pair I have also has a little cut-out on the bottom so you can read the serial number. Real UM grips don't have that. The only thing written in the grips I have is Ruger Security Six and Made in Italy. I have Uncle Mikes on a couple of S&W revolvers and they're great. Fits like a glove. When I put these grips on there was a gap. I removed the roll pin and the gap is reduced but is still there. Before I took the pin out I put one side of the grip on. They are two piece grips, not one piece. There is a hole for the grip pin and the grips seemed to fit flush. But when both sides are on there is a gap that runs along the whole grip, from top, all the way down, underneath, and then up again.

I ordered a set of the Pachmayr Grippers and they will be here tomorrow. I will put the roll pin back in before I put them on. I'd rather leave it in anyway. If they don't fit I'll do an exchange and see if the new set fits. Some reviewers on Amazon did that and the new set was better.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Pachmayr grips arrived. Much better. Slight gap but very tiny. I requested an exchange he from Amazon though. The screw hole on the other side doesn't quite line up with the one on the other side and it's not really catching the screw. But feels much better then the wood or the no brand rubber grips it replaced.

Ok, now makes sense. Saying made in Italy would tell me something is amiss as I think both Pachmayrs and Uncle Mikes are made in the USA (but I could be wrong).

If the screw holes don't align, then I would ask for an exchange also, the misalignment may be causing the tiny gap. Personally, I've never had a set of Pachmayrs not align perfectly nor have a gap when installed (but I could just be lucky). If the next set screw holes line up ok and there is still a tiny gap, carry and shoot it a bit, it may just need to be handled some (since it is not wood and is malleable to some extent) and that may remedy the problem.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
So the fit was better but the gap was slightly there. I removed the roll pin and the fit was much much better. I also did return the Pachmayr grips for another set and the holes line up.

I prefer the look of the wood but the rubber feels better and it makes me shoot much better. The roll pin is in a bag with the grips if I ever decide to put them back on.

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
I did this and put on a set of Hogue rubber grips. I lucked out with my Service Six as it's in the higher S/N range. The Ruger grips and roll pin are stuck together in case I sell.