Cylinder & Slide, Inc. & the DAO SP-101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bklyn_Irish

Bearcat
I am currently in the process of retiring a Colt Detective Special as a back-up gun- too valuable these days to carry- and am looking for a replacement.

I have a 2.25" DAO SP-101 that I am thinking will fit the role nicely. Good guns can usually be made better, and I am considering sending her off to Cylinder & Slide for the following:

RR095 - Machine 1/2 Ghost Ring rear sight
RR093 - XS Pin On Big Dot front with Tritium
RR014 - Chamfer and Polish Cylinder Mouths
RR020 - Action Job (includes Wolff springs)
RR021 - Smooth - Polish - Radius Trigger Face

Anybody have any experiences with C&S Ruger revolver work they'd like to share?

recumbent

Buckeye
I have the same SP101 and the only thing I have done is install a Wolff trigger return spring.
Gun shoots great.
If it was me I'd skip the C&S work.

I agree, good guns can be made better.

I do wonder if a ghost ring would be a good rear sight on a carry revolver. Would a dot sight for the rear as well work better? Something low profile which wouldn't snag on anything? Novak makes a rear dot sight for the SP101.

I bet an action job would really slick up that gun nicely.

Thel

Blackhawk
"I do wonder if a ghost ring would be a good rear sight on a carry revolver. Would a dot sight for the rear as well work better? Something low profile which wouldn't snag on anything? Novak makes a rear dot sight for the SP101."

The XS Big Dot sight is quite prominent in size. I do not think the Novak rear would work very well as the front sight would be mostly above the rear sight and fill the notch so dots on the rear would not add anything useful. Now, if one was going to use the Novak rear with a Novak front sight that is a different matter.

As to the work Bklyn_Irish wants done I have done this on my 2.25" SP but it was not C&S who did the work. The mods make the gun a lot better and in my case the DA pull was reduced from 14 to 8.4 lbs. I originally had the Big Dot on mine but ultimately went with the Standard Dot tritium as it was plenty large for my eyes.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
I've worked with C&S and Gemini and I would go Gemini without question. Personally I've had a Wiley Clapp 3" SP for a few months now and other than a spring and grip change it is perfect for me with no custom work at all.

Bklyn_Irish

Bearcat
Bklyn_Irish said:
I am currently in the process of retiring a Colt Detective Special as a back-up gun- too valuable these days to carry- and am looking for a replacement.

I have a 2.25" DAO SP-101 that I am thinking will fit the role nicely. Good guns can usually be made better, and I am considering sending her off to Cylinder & Slide for the following:

RR095 - Machine 1/2 Ghost Ring rear sight
RR093 - XS Pin On Big Dot front with Tritium
RR014 - Chamfer and Polish Cylinder Mouths
RR020 - Action Job (includes Wolff springs)
RR021 - Smooth - Polish - Radius Trigger Face

Anybody have any experiences with C&S Ruger revolver work they'd like to share?

Putting the project off until the fall, but after discussions with the shop and others, the work will be as follows:

XS Pin On Standard Dot front with Tritium
Chamfer and Polish Cylinder Mouths
Action Job (includes Wolff springs)
Smooth - Polish - Radius Trigger Face

I'll be sure to give an AAR once I get her back.

grumpy7159

Bearcat
I had a GP 100 worked over by Cylinder and Slide and couldn't be happier. I did not have the sights changed, but the trigger and cylinder work was done. I had the muzzle crowned. I carry a WC 10mm GP100 which is good but near what my C&S GP100 turned out to be.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I'm liking your thoughts on your pistol and would probably do something similar. Have you thought about a blckpowder chamfer on the front of the cylinder? I know you never have to holster in a hurry, but it will be in and out a lot. Plus I just like the way it looks.

"I am currently in the process of retiring a Colt Detective Special as a back-up gun- too valuable these days to carry- and am looking for a replacement."

I'm just curious. How much money will you have in the SP101 and the custom work? Around here a used Detective Special sells for about the same money as a new SP101 with no custom gunsmithing done to it. And you get a sixth round in the old Colt.

Not trying to dissuade you from making a nifty SP101 custom, though.

cobalt402

Single-Sixer
Like BPJ & ChiefTJS, I had Gemini work his magic on my SP 101, and what I have now is a revolver that is incredible. My stock SP made a nice paperweight and it had an action that was horribly rough. I realize that the days of finely finished factory revolvers are a thing of the past, and, maybe I just remember the old Smith's that I had that were well done. But, a lot of this Friday @ quitting time stuff that hits the market is unfortunate. If you plan on a Gemini gun, be prepared for a wait, he is super busy, but if you have the time, it is well worth the wait.