BEAR GUN EXPERIENCE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpickar

Blackhawk
This is a very informative video.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2Fv58WL-1TxNU%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR10p0f-rQgl8NfvlWEFWlSHt6QFLlSubsrobI3GoKuQ3YDz7wwcFrzxGis&h=AT1YB_yLDeOcMVaWaUDfj9nPhczAJGaltHVGOJ9miOhgsVJ_92OnbGOKZK0KvgUnFlY1uLGd-C9Gjl9HMKqZGzUmT5xkV4M2GBz_WjeEkzqsUPF4z9Up1Noa6X8gPupbqnp5r73jIK8GQZc

contender

Ruger Guru
Interesting,, yet still lacking in a few things.

In his charge,, he was dealing with a previously wounded bear, and shot it again with an arrow. THEN the bear charged,, and he deployed his handgun. He was able to make a very good hit, in the brain, and stopped the charge. Excellent.
But,, his follow-up testing etc,, I saw a few things that I felt were lacking in true facts.
He was shooting as a rolling tire,, (a good idea,) but it was NOT rolling at him, but at an angle.
He chose a revolver,, and he SA cocked it each time, instead of DA shooting. He followed with semi-auto handgun,, and in his breakdown,, the revolver was a 44 mag,, which he described as "the big gun",, and he then chose a 1911 in 10mm as a "mid-sized gun," followed by a DA only hammerless snubby .357 as his compact gun. Lastly,,, he used a shotgun, which was what he scored the best hits with.
He really focused upon the semi's as the "best" because of the number of rounds available,, and yet,, he did say that you had to be able to hit the target. And there was discussion about ammo choices.

Lastly,, he did show bear spray,, including an out of date can, compared to a in date can. Yet, if you looked closely at his video, there were 4 cans of empty spray on the ground. What were his results for the other 2 cans?

All in all, it wasn't "bad" but like so many others,, it wasn't as complete as it could have been. That, and he didn't stress the capability of the person enough. An accomplished handgunner,, who practices a lot more,, vs. a casual hiker,,, vs. a weekender who pops a few rounds at paper.

And he had TIME to prepare for the rolling tire,, and he failed to induce any real stress to his shooting. (Remember, he was able to SA cock his DA revolver.)

Now,, I know a LOT of "what if's" & "How to's & not to's" are hard to duplicate on a range & practice. I just think it could have been a little better in the stuff he DID show.
There is just NOT a single best way or method, or firearm etc that can be the "perfect" bear defense system.

But I have seen a common theme among true professionals.
(1) Accuracy, and especially accuracy under stress.
(2) A firearm YOU can deploy comfortably & quickly.
(3) A carry method that allows immediate access to the firearm or spray.
(4) Bear spray is a good accessory,, but shouldn't be your only defense.
(5) Proper ammo choice.
(6) Lastly, & most importantly, try & NOT put yourself in a position to allow a bear to want to charge you.

hittman

Staff member
Well, we don't have bears here .... some across the river and a bit south in rural Missouri though.

My uneducated guess is that the best bear defense is the one that WORKS; even if you poke him in the eye with a stick and he runs off. :lol:

Enigma

Hunter
contender said:
Interesting,, yet still lacking in a few things.

In his charge,, he was dealing with a previously wounded bear, and shot it again with an arrow. THEN the bear charged,, and he deployed his handgun. He was able to make a very good hit, in the brain, and stopped the charge. Excellent.
But,, his follow-up testing etc,, I saw a few things that I felt were lacking in true facts.
He was shooting as a rolling tire,, (a good idea,) but it was NOT rolling at him, but at an angle.
He chose a revolver,, and he SA cocked it each time, instead of DA shooting. He followed with semi-auto handgun,, and in his breakdown,, the revolver was a 44 mag,, which he described as "the big gun",, and he then chose a 1911 in 10mm as a "mid-sized gun," followed by a DA only hammerless snubby .357 as his compact gun. Lastly,,, he used a shotgun, which was what he scored the best hits with.
He really focused upon the semi's as the "best" because of the number of rounds available,, and yet,, he did say that you had to be able to hit the target. And there was discussion about ammo choices.

Lastly,, he did show bear spray,, including an out of date can, compared to a in date can. Yet, if you looked closely at his video, there were 4 cans of empty spray on the ground. What were his results for the other 2 cans?

All in all, it wasn't "bad" but like so many others,, it wasn't as complete as it could have been. That, and he didn't stress the capability of the person enough. An accomplished handgunner,, who practices a lot more,, vs. a casual hiker,,, vs. a weekender who pops a few rounds at paper.

And he had TIME to prepare for the rolling tire,, and he failed to induce any real stress to his shooting. (Remember, he was able to SA cock his DA revolver.)

Now,, I know a LOT of "what if's" & "How to's & not to's" are hard to duplicate on a range & practice. I just think it could have been a little better in the stuff he DID show.
There is just NOT a single best way or method, or firearm etc that can be the "perfect" bear defense system.

But I have seen a common theme among true professionals.
(1) Accuracy, and especially accuracy under stress.
(2) A firearm YOU can deploy comfortably & quickly.
(3) A carry method that allows immediate access to the firearm or spray.
(4) Bear spray is a good accessory,, but shouldn't be your only defense.
(5) Proper ammo choice.
(6) Lastly, & most importantly, try & NOT put yourself in a position to allow a bear to want to charge you.

I share most of your observations, but will add one. The method that he used to carry his various handguns left much to be desired from the standpoint of accessibility. He literally had to use both hands in order to obtain a firing grip on more than one handgun - a recipe for disaster, given the intended use. I don't know what the large bag he carried in the middle of his chest was, but twere it me, that thing would live somewhere else.

contender

Ruger Guru
You are right,, he did have a "slow" method of carrying. I think the cased thing on his chest was a set of binoculars, in a case.

BearBio

Buckeye
I agree 99% with Contender. You will likely only get time for ONE shot=revolver, auto or shotgun. Our "problem" bear bios in Federal service in Alaska use Brenneke 12 gauge slugs on problem bears and in defense of life and property. "regular" bios get bear spray. I was certified for both.

Note: Underwood has special deep penetrating loads in several calibers. Also, 200 & 230 gr. hard lead in the 10mm.

Interesting the one guy uses a 357 Sig==my EDC caliber.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Good video, at least he made an attempt to address the issue. From all the data I've looked at it is evident that heavy hard cast bullets are the best on heavy muscled, thick boned animals not hollow points or soft points.

I have black bears on my hunting property. In the 24 years I've had it I've only run into them once, last fall, a mother and her three yearling cubs which I literally ran into coming out of a ravine, 5 yards away. Fortunately they scattered. But if I had gotten between momma and her cubs, it could have been a different story. That started me thinking of what to carry in the woods.

When I went fishing and hiking in Alaska a few years ago I took my 5.5" Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. Carried it everyday for 3 weeks in a chest harness. It was loaded with 305 gr hard cast bear loads. While I didn't have any problem carrying it while fishing or doing a lot of hiking and I did train with drawing and firing rapidly before I went. It is however awkward to carry while working on the property i.e bending over, cutting/hauling wood etc.

I looked at getting 10mm but went to my 45 autos with 230 gr FMJs because that's what I have. I did load up some cast bullets to +P velocities and put heavier recoil springs in all three 45s. My favorite is a Ruger P97 which is fairly light and about the size of a Colt Commander. I also have a 1911 and an XD45. I've been thinking of converting the 1911 to 45 Super because you can reload it using regular 45 acp components and it a lot more powerful than a 45 acp.

I recently picked up a 2.75" Ruger Security Six 357. I loaded up some hard cast 158gr "bear loads" for it and have been carrying it instead of the 45. I've been practicing shooting it and the 45s quickly and accurately at close range. Those hot loads are pretty stiff however.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
contender said:
He chose a revolver,, and he SA cocked it each time, instead of DA shooting. .

Don't discount SA shooting.... Even one handed. You'd be surprised how fast you can cock, fire, and re acquire in a bad situation. Even yes.... with one hand using heavy cast bullets.

You won't get a great target area to choose because it will be mostly head, and it will be coming straight at you.....

My dogs are great at running off critters...... BUT..... there is a one in 360 chance that the direction it runs off will be straight at you... By that I mean me... of course!

contender

Ruger Guru
You are correct,,, you CAN be fast in SA mode. Especially if you practice it a lot. And,, if a SA is a choice,, I actually prefer it over DA's because I can shoot one fast,, if necessary. I was mostly referring to his use of SA while shooting a DA revolver.

contender

Ruger Guru
Agreed on the poor shot.

He was bowhunting,, and made a shot, the bear ran off. If the shot was later in the day,, most bowhunters do back out to allow the animal expire. Even overnight.
BUT,, it was still alive, and as such, a poor shot placement.
Anybody who has ever hunted a lot will, if honest, admit to having had the same thing happen. Sometimes, the circumstances just come together to where a well laid plan falls apart. Or, more often, a sloppy hunter will take a shot in a hurry, or just shoot at the whole animal & not "pick a spot."
We don't know about the events of the prior evening except that he had a wounded bear. I didn't comment about this because I didn't have enough information.

bogus bill

Hunter
Old habits are hard to break. I started off with a ruger single six almost 60 years ago and really shot it more back then then I have shot since. I got a guard job and carried and qualified with double actions for thirty five years.
I shot DA for range yearly qualify`s but almost always shot my DA`s SA ever since when I pleasure shoot.

youngoutdoors

Bearcat
Four of us got charged once when the buck we were tracking was being eaten by a big black bear when we found it. I started hollering "hey bear get outa here" and it just ignored us. It was dark and I was the only one packing. I had a Smith 57 .41 with 5 in the cylinder. All of us had big handguns and the other 3 guys left them in the truck. After the bear didn't leave we all started yelling and it just looked up and I remember it kept chewing. It was about 25 yards away. The next time it raised its head it charged. It was early bow season and the weeds were high. I was holding a light in one hand and the .41 in the other. I tried to shoot it in the head as the weeds were parting toward us. Everyone was yelling shoot-shoot-shoot. I fired once and my brother-in-law said well thats one less bear. I said no I didn't get it. At the shot I thought I saw it wheel and disappear. My bil said it dropped. Well it was not in the mess of weeds and we didn't find any blood. I stood and watched to make sure it didn't return while they cut the carcass in half. While watching I decided to look over my shoulder and to my suprise there was eyes everywhere behind me. A sow and four cubs was walking straight into the wind and about 20 yards from us when I spotted them. I started yelling bears, bears, and everyone started yelling again. Two of the cubs ran instantly. One cub was in front of the sow and one was beside her. The one beside her ran next and she charged just in front of the closest cub. Stomping her feet and popping her jaws until the last cub ran. Everyone was again yelling shoot, shoot. I knew I only had 4 shells left and really didn't want to kill a sow with cubs. After the last cub left she turned tail and left too. We got that deer outa the woods pretty quick after that. I don't go tracking anything without at least one sidearm and sometimes I carry two now. There was alot of bears in that area that year. Just loads of Hickory nuts and not much mast anywhere else around. A couple of weeks later my bil shot a buck and before he climbed out of the tree a bear came by and got on the trail of the buck. We didn't even go after it that evening but did the next morning only to find the buck half eaten.

God Bless, Louis

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
"I had a Smith 57 .41 with 5 in the cylinder."

Why? A M57, so long as it hasn't had the hammer block removed, is perfectly safe with 6 rounds in the cylinder.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I don't do bowhunting. If I am hunting in bear country, I generally use a pretty good sized rifle. A 338 Winchester model 77 or a marlin converted to 50 Alaskan. I figure I get time for 1 shot. So, I will take my time and hurry up and place a big bullet where it will break down the bear.... head like the video or spine. I do sometimes carry a handgun too, blackie land a 44 magnum, grizzle land 500 SW.
I have had one issue with a black bear involving a cub and mom, which is why I go heavily armed now.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I think if I had ever made a really bad shot. I'd keep it to myself!!!....... :lol:
In my area, getting a good shot at a low slung animal, like a bear is tough. I doubt I'd try it with a bow. I haven't killed as many bear as some of you. But I am a big believer in breaking the front shoulder(s) first if possible. I don't relish the idea of going into thick cover, (which is about all I have), and following up on a wounded bear. But if I ever have to, I will go get my Karelian bear dog first. It is what they are bred for. They are also great at standing guard while you focus on skinning and quartering....

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
woodperson said:
Not legal to carry a hand gun while bow hunting in my state.

Interesting... even in the deep blue state of Minnesota we could carry a "dispatch gun".... Here in Alaska.. taking a handgun or rifle with while bow hunting is highly recommended!!!!..... :lol: