BEAR GUN EXPERIENCE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
In some states,, it is illegal to carry a handgun while bowhunting,, and others,, no problem. In NC,, it wasn't too many years ago, we could only carry a .22 rf handgun. Now,, with CCW,, we can carry our CCW firearm. Of course,, we didn't have many bear problems for almost 100 years,, so the argument for SD was almost useless.
But with the rise in cases of bear encounters, as well as too many hikers & others being attacked, raped, killed etc,, CCW laws changed things.
Gee,, I wonder if my scoped T/C Contender would be a good CCW handgun????

:D :D :D JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

jpickar

Blackhawk
contender said:
Agreed on the poor shot.

He was bowhunting,, and made a shot, the bear ran off. If the shot was later in the day,, most bowhunters do back out to allow the animal expire. Even overnight.
BUT,, it was still alive, and as such, a poor shot placement.
Anybody who has ever hunted a lot will, if honest, admit to having had the same thing happen. Sometimes, the circumstances just come together to where a well laid plan falls apart. Or, more often, a sloppy hunter will take a shot in a hurry, or just shoot at the whole animal & not "pick a spot."
We don't know about the events of the prior evening except that he had a wounded bear. I didn't comment about this because I didn't have enough information.

You didn't even watch the video with the intent of listening only to criticize. You got it all wrong.

bogus bill

Hunter
I worked for the NPS, Yosemite in 1960 and the Grand Tetons 1961. Dont know their procedures now but
evidently back then going by all these threads on what guns to use our betters weren't too concerned with our butts back then.
We worked unarmed. Illegal to have guns in the park back then. In Yosemite I was a Blister Rust checker. I/we walked back in a average of maybe three miles off the road with no gun nor radio every day. There is no more bear populated country than that. I guess that's why I laugh over reading tons of these bear threads. But then again I
never took life as seriously as most. However I worked with many others and not once did I hear my
co workers worry about us going in the back country without a gun or even pac set to call for help if we broke a leg
or whatever. Times have changed.
https://i.postimg.cc/hhWrtk8Q/bear-sign.jpg

woodperson said:
Not legal to carry a hand gun while bow hunting in my state.
I am not sure where you get this. If you have a CCW you may carry in Tn. I carried my Redhawk .44 mag while in Alaska. Never saw a bear, but plenty of moose at close 10 foot range! Those suckers are big and just materialize out of nowhere! I carried 240 JSP in Kotzebue, Then switched to 305 gr hard cast WFN, when I went to Barrow. The Redhawk was a wonderful " talisman", and kept me safe? It was carried either in a Simply Rugged sourdough or an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster depending on my activities for the day.
gramps