Getting fancy in my old age...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
For many years I always liked the idea of custom grips and dressing up my guns. However, I never really wanted to spend the money or thought it important enough to do custom, cosmetic work.

I always flipped through 41 Magnum's grip lists and Cary's posts kind of like how a kid flipped through the old Sears Wish Book at Christmas time (now...who remembers those?). Now, a few years later, I found I have a change of heart, but 41 and Cary have retired.

I liked the idea of the whitetail antler inserts for my SP101, but couldn't track any down, so got a set of elk antler ones from Sack Peterson. They arrived today and look pretty sharp:
x0w0eYl.jpg

VSsr6tZ.jpg

And, that's not all...I've got the grip frame of my 4 5/8" .357 mag Blackhawk in a box to take to the post office to send to Chigg's Grips...will add photos when they come in.

Aqualung

contender

Ruger Guru
As a collector,, influenced by the quest for guns "as shipped" I too have mostly tried to avoid the "custom" route.
But,, then as I enjoyed some of my shooters,, and wanted to do "something" to enhance them,, I've added custom grips, & other mods to many of my guns.

Sounds like (and looks like) you chose to do the same. Nice grip inserts!

BearBio

Buckeye
The majority of my pistols have had custom grips ranging from ivory on my matching pythons to carved ivory on my 1901 Colt Bisley shipped to Mexico to bighorn sheep on my custom Ruger Vaquero. Older, scarcer firearms kept factory grips (i.e. my 1943 GI 1911 rumored to be issued for Iwo Jima).

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I don't know. I think I like OEM grips best on this gun. Anything else is like chrome spinner wheels on a car.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Don't like 'em. Not appropriate for the design/age of this gun. Stags should be on single action western style guns only IMO. Let the flames fly!

falrifles

Bearcat
I love them. I have a set just like them on my early full lugged SP101 .22. Life's too short to have an ugly gun. My original grips have a shinny black plastic insert. 100% visual improvement and feel. My number two son, has the same inserts on his three inch Sp101 .357. He bought both sets from someone on this forum many years ago. He gave me mine for my birthday right after he bought both sets.

I'm contemplating buying a 2 1/2 inch SP101 .357. I'll put elk inserts on that one as well. Like yours a lot.

Life is about choices. We pay our money and make our choice based on what pleases us, not the next guy...

Aqualung

Blackhawk
And now...Got my Blackhawk frame back from Chad with a nice set of Claro Walnuts:

RDZqhLE.jpg

XqQacqn.jpg

puF3H2o.jpg

9maiiEh.jpg

I think he did a really nice job!

Thumbs up for Chigg's Grips. I highly recommend them!

Aqualung

eveled

Hawkeye
I like the stags on the sp101 a lot. I also like the custom Chigg's. Nicely done.

falrifles

Bearcat
I just ordered a pair myself from Sack Petersen today. Yesterday I bought a three inch SP101 manufactured in 2012 from a neighbor of mine. Anxious to see how they will look. I love the general appearance.

CrazyCarl

Bearcat
index.php

This Turkish walnut from Chig is waiting to go on a 6.5" .41 Blackhawk I've got at Tyler Gun Works for SBH Hunter grip frame & hammer, accuracy package & 1/4 coverage engraving.

Aqualung, I like the looks of the stags on your SP101. The grips themselves don't fit my hand worth a hoot. Shooting magnum loads whacks my knuckle. I prefer the Hogue grips and even better both of my 3"ers have the Trausch grips. I really like those.