RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:25 pm 
Hawkeye

Bob Wright wrote:
2. Cheaper for factory ammunition. O.K., but why not reload?

Bob Wright

A valid point. And that is why i eventually bought a rock chucker kit and then my Dillon. The benefit for me was worth the hassle of setup and cost of admission as well as the space i've sacrificed for my stuff.

However that stuff does takes space and some folks dont have much. I have a friend that rooms with a family. His space is basically his bedroom. He just doesnt have the room for even a portable setup. And his finances are such right now that he cant afford a place of his own. So he mainly shoots 22 and surplus ammo.

My cousin has tennants rooming with him. He has a reloading setup but doesnt want to leave expensive components and equipment laying around.

Ruger accumulator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 pm 
Hawkeye

Since most will take what I'm about to say to imply that I'm a .45Colt hater, I will preface this post with the following. I own SIX .45Colt firearms and two of the last several I've bought have been so-chambered. Two of those I'm strongly considering having engraved. I also recently bought another Dillon 650 with electric casefeeder for a grand total of $1100.....just to load the .45Colt. I love the cartridge and want more guns chambered in it. So I am not a hater. However, there are those who are diehard .45Colt fans and believe it is the greatest cartridge ever devised and they have no use for any other. I am not one of those either and never will be. I love them all but hope above all to be able to look at them realistically.

The .45ACP in a single action is perhaps the best idea I've never actually experienced. I've got a 6.5" Old Model that I'll probably have converted. Not a convertible, just a .45ACP. Why? Firstly, the .45Colt at standard pressures is terribly inefficient. Yes, people love those big fat cases but it's mostly vanity and a lot of wasted space. The .45ACP duplicates its performance with less powder. Added up over tens of thousands of rounds, it can be a significant difference. It also uses a shorter case that more readily ejects from a single action. When you're doing a lot of shooting, that can make it much more enjoyable. Factory or handloads, both should see the beauty in it. ACP ammo is easy to find, relatively cheap and plentiful. The .45Colt is none of those things. Right now, .45Colt brass is not easy to find but ACP is everywhere and the once-fired variety is cheap.

So what's not to love about a cartridge that uses the same bullets at the same velocity while using less powder and being easier to eject? Or cheaper to feed for the non-handloader?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:19 pm 
Hunter

^^^
Yup!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:11 pm 
Hawkeye

Well, to each his own. I've got two Blackhawks with .45 ACP auxilliary cylinders. I've put maybe 1200 rounds through the ACP cylinders then put them up never to re-insert them into either of my guns.

True, they do punch out much more readily, but that's been the only advantage I've found.

Bob Wright