RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:12 pm 
Hunter

I also have the Taylor's/Uberti "Running Iron which is a 3.5 barrel .45 Colt with slicked up action,but with the plow handle. When the Birdshead NV gets here that will make a nice combo.
Just something about that little Ruger,in .45 ACP, I like!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:45 pm 
Hunter

Quote:
The 45 ACP is much cheaper to load than the 45 Colt
I don't see the cheaper bit. When I load .45 ACP, the same 250g RNFP bullet goes in the mouth. Don't use jacketed either. A bit less powder, but same primer. So same bullet, same primer (the most expensive consumeables) . Cases can be reused... I don't see the savings... Even if you use 230s there isn't that much saving. I can load 200g bullets in my .45 Colt as well, if I choose to go light which I'd never do.... but the option is there. So don't see the 'saving' as an argument for 'reloading'. Yes for non-reloader of course :) . Comes down to personal preference is all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 pm 
Blackhawk

I wouldn't care for the bird's head grip frame as it's just not my style, but I love the .45 acp in a single action. I have several .44 Specials, and I love them, but I shoot my .45 acp Bisley's a whole lot more. Brass is plentiful, cheap, and often found in copious quantities on the ground at the range. My latest Bisley is a laser with a Lyman 452460 and 4.9 grains of 231 in a Winchester case.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Single-Sixer

Don't have a vaquero, but do have a 3 1/2" Round Butt Freedom Arms M97 with a .45 ACP aux cylinder. It is an absolute joy to shoot with my standard 200gr target/plinking loads. As mentioned above, the ACP case allows the short ejector rod on the little belly gun to completely eject the spent cases. Ammo is always available for a spur of the moment trip to the range as I have a Dillon Square Deal B dedicated to .45 ACP.

Here's a picture I took at the range with my flip phone (dumb phone) -- great day at the range -- doesn't get much better than this.

FWIW,

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:00 pm 
Hawkeye

In reading all the responses y'all have given, I am overwhelmed by the number of folks who say they don't reload!

Thank you all for your responses, and giving valid reasons for your choice. I have two ruger Super Blackhawks (actually Blackhawks that have been worked over) in .45 Colt with auxilliary .45 ACP cylinders. The ACP cylinders have spent most of their time in the box.

And thank you all for being civil!

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm 
Hunter

Rclark wrote:
Quote:
The 45 ACP is much cheaper to load than the 45 Colt
I don't see the cheaper bit. When I load .45 ACP, the same 250g RNFP bullet goes in the mouth. Don't use jacketed either. A bit less powder, but same primer. So same bullet, same primer (the most expensive consumeables) . Cases can be reused... I don't see the savings... Even if you use 230s there isn't that much saving. I can load 200g bullets in my .45 Colt as well, if I choose to go light which I'd never do.... but the option is there. So don't see the 'saving' as an argument for 'reloading'. Yes for non-reloader of course :) . Comes down to personal preference is all.

The bullets I load in the ACP cost less than half of those that I load in the 45 Colt. Also 1/5 of the powder weight. Brass is less than half the cost of the Colt, and I can get more loads per. It adds up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:35 pm 
Hunter

If you reload and end up with batch that won't cycle through your semi auto, running them through an ACP chambered revolver is a whole lot more fun than whacking the bench with a bullet puller.

Deac45

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:03 pm 
Buckeye

They are cute. Actually I had never shot a birds head grip plus I have LOTS of 1911s, most in .45 ACP.

Actually I wish it had been a convertible. I sort of collect those, but I found out the 45LC cylinder from my Lipsey flatop fits perfectly, although I have not shot it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:13 pm 
Hunter

So at the end of all this...why does there have to be a reason,financial or otherwise, to buy this cool little shooter? If you likes it buy it! It's just like any other hobby.
Now I will call my gun shop and see if todays UPS truck arrived with my little Birdie! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 pm 
Hawkeye

Once upon a time, long ago, Jeff Cooper answered the question of "what's it for?"

His response: "Why, to sell, of course."

Yep.
;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:14 pm 
Hawkeye

For non reloaders, ammo is cheaper.

That is why i got mine. That and i had 45 auto pistols at the time.

Now had i been a reloader or had any 45 Colt handguns at the time i would have gone that route. But i didn't.

I have since gotten heavily into 45 Colt and have started reloading. I have fitted a 45 Colt cylinder to the ACP Vaquero and rarely shoot ACP anymore. But now it bugs me cause i have 45ACP on the side of my 45 Colt Vaquero. :mrgreen:

Ruger accumulator

Last edited by Joe S. on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:45 pm 
Hunter

The "Birdie" has landed! Very nice looking gun and the grips really look great.
I know this is useless without a pic. !
Well now I have 2 guns that shoot .45 ACP..so another excuse to reload for that!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:28 pm 
Blackhawk

I have a case hardened 45LC with 3 1/2" barrel with the Birdseed grips. Love it!! Easy to cary, fun to shoot, will do the job if it needs to. I also fit a 45 ACP cylinder to it. Same gun, same everything, but cheaper to shoot, less recoil. I have the best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:06 pm 
Hawkeye

I prefer the convertibles if i can buy what i want in that configuration. If i ever find myself with one ammo and not the other, it is nice to have that option. Right now i have 4 convertible guns. The Birdshead Vaquero that started off as ACP, a flattop New Model Blackhawk, a large frame New Model Blackhawk Bisley, and a Bond Arms Derringer. :)

Ruger accumulator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:54 pm 
Hawkeye

Varminterror said:

Quote:
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I didn't say I didn't like it, in fact, I don't dislike it, it just hasn't appealed to me, at least not enough to urge me to buy one.

O.K. Here are reasons given:

1. "I like it." Reason enough for me.

2. Cheaper for factory ammunition. O.K., but why not reload?

3. Already have several auto loaders in .45 ACP. Makes a good reason to buy.

4. Already have a .45 ACP, and can use reloaded ammunition that won't work in the auto. Good point!

5. The short ACP case ejects more positively from rod ejector SA revolver.

6. Just want the experience of firing the .45 ACP in a revolver. Another very valid reason.

As to less recoil, a 250 gr. bullet pushed at 900 fps generates the same recoil, whether is from a .45 Colt or a .45 ACP.

I had auxilliary cylinders for two of my Ruger Blackhawks because I had just disposed of a Colt Gold Cup and had a supply of ACP brass on hand. However, as that supply wore out and dwindled away, the lure of the ACP round faded out for me.

Bob Wright