RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:09 pm 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm
Posts: 3188
Younger guy at work got a basket case Remington 552 from his dad that found it apart in his grandpas van. Anyway he has no 22 ammo and randomly found some short so he bought it. He got the gun back together with some help from Numrich parts but it won't rack the second round. I figure it is the short round not being powerful enough to rack.

Anyway I offered to trade some LR for his shorts but figured I better ask before shooting in my guns. Never had any short rounds before.

Thanks for the help and hope you don't mind the ramble.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:36 pm 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:06 pm
Posts: 3065
Location: Reading, Pa
I shoot shorts in my SP101 from time to time, ear protection is optional...fun is assured.

_________________
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say" George R.R. Martin

"I buy guns to shoot and not to fondle and admire" RugerForum Member 5of7

The push get everyone vaccinated is the government’s way of eliminating a control group.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:24 am 
Hawkeye

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:01 pm
Posts: 7564
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
roylt wrote:
Anyway I offered to trade some LR for his shorts but figured I better ask before shooting in my guns. Never had any short rounds before.

Thanks for the help and hope you don't mind the ramble.


Yes any revolver chambered for 22 LR will safely chamber and shoot 22 Short and 22 Long as well as 22 LR. If you shoot many Shorts just brush out the chambers before switching back to Long or LR. Fowling in the chamber at the mouth of the shorter case will build up and make chambering and ejecting the longer rounds a little tight.

_________________
Jim
Ruger single action "collector, accumulator, builder and shooter"
NRA Life
CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:32 pm 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:01 am
Posts: 4283
Location: State College, PA, USA
You should hear (or I should actually say not hear) .22 Shorts in a bolt gun with a suppressor. They ARE Hollywood quiet.

As the others have said, I have never had any problems shooting Shorts in a LR gun other than semi autos tend to not cycle.

_________________
Ron
USAF Retired E-8
RCA, ROCS, RENE Member
NRA Benefactor


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:10 pm 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:01 am
Posts: 4578
Location: Davisburg, MI. USA
Hondo44 wrote:
roylt wrote:
Anyway I offered to trade some LR for his shorts but figured I better ask before shooting in my guns. Never had any short rounds before.

Thanks for the help and hope you don't mind the ramble.


Yes any revolver chambered for 22 LR will safely chamber and shoot 22 Short and 22 Long as well as 22 LR. If you shoot many Shorts just brush out the chambers before switching back to Long or LR. Fowling in the chamber at the mouth of the shorter case will build up and make chambering and ejecting the longer rounds a little tight.



In a revolver think of shorts as 38 specials versus a 357


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:49 pm 
Hawkeye

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:40 pm
Posts: 8620
Location: Dallas, TX
Dang it all. I was in a Wal Mart a couple weeks ago. They had some 22 shorts. I passed them up.

But! They did have 22 magnums for $11 a box. I did NOT pass those up. The guy let me buy all 6 boxes too!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:04 am 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:13 pm
Posts: 3188
Dan in MI wrote:
[In a revolver think of shorts as 38 specials versus a 357


This is what I thought but wanted to be sure. The 22's I have were bought for my kids to learn on and also something that they can use to maybe train their kids (way in the future, only 11 and 13 now). Trying to keep them nice.


Thanks for the replies,
Roy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:30 am 
Buckeye

Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:01 am
Posts: 1320
Location: Southwest VA USA
The 552 is supposed to fire .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle. I think it has a floating chamber like the 550 I had. That floating chamber probably needs cleaning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:06 am 
Buckeye

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 pm
Posts: 1294
Location: S Florida
Firing Shorts in a 22? Fine.
Firing a 22 in your shorts? Not so much.

_________________
We inda bidness of killin' mocassins, and cousin, bidness izza boomin'!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:33 pm 
Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:01 am
Posts: 2186
Location: North Huntingdon Pa.
Muley Gil wrote:
The 552 is supposed to fire .22 Short, Long and Long Rifle. I think it has a floating chamber like the 550 I had. That floating chamber probably needs cleaning.


Like Muley said the 552 was designed to shoot s-l-lr. Perhaps dirty or just needs to be lubed.
I wouldn’t mind having one myself or another 572.

_________________
Jan. 20 2017, It's morning in America!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group