GP100 - screw by the cylinder release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Palu

Bearcat
Hi guys. Today, cleaning my gun, I noticed this screw right under the cylinder release. It looks like it's backing out? Compared to my SP101, which is screwed all the way in, this seems like it's about to fall out. Should I tighten this?

Sorry for these cruddy pics:

354eeb0e.jpg

9a3bcc81.jpg

dleong

Bearcat
From your images, it certainly looks like the screw that secures the crane latch in place is backing out. You might want to use a bit of medium-strength threadlock when you screw it back in, to help keep it in place. Also, you might want to put a small strip of masking tape on the frame directly underneath the screw to protect against scratches in case the screwdriver slips.

Palu

Bearcat
Thanks. I will screw this in (and thanks for the masking tape tip).

louiethelump

Buckeye
And over the masking tape,,,,,,, put some black epoxy,,,,,,,,,,,, and then get some aluminum paint and paint the black epoxy silver,,,,,,,,,,,,

Then have the whole gun chrome plated to cover the epoxy...........

Good Grief! It is a loose screw...................... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Palu

Bearcat
I don't think that's the only loose screw in this thread.

Ha - kidding louiethelump

dleong

Bearcat
louiethelump said:
Being loopy is all part of my boyish charm............. :wink: :wink:

Louie

Admit it: you missed your meds this morning. I feel the same way if I miss mine. :mrgreen:

But back on topic: since the screw is already partially out, you might as well take this opportunity to unscrew it all the way, remove the crane latch and hose out the area. You'll be surprised at how much powder residue accumulates in the frame cavity that the crane latch sits in, especially if you feed your GP100 a constant diet of warm magnum loads.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Yeah, screw it back in. And dleong's advice ain't bad either if you're a little ambitious. Otherwise I'd just give it a teensy drop of LocTite and screw it back in. That's what I did with mine.

A guy I know had this screw back all the way out and fall out at a steel match; it caused the cylinder to bind up. This is, incidentally, the only problem I've ever seen anybody have on the range with a GP100.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Cheers everybody, it's been ten years, and I just now had to retighten my pivot latch pin!

Went searching for the correct term and found this thread. Also in the last decade, retired, got my hip replaced, had a grandchild, and used up a couple cars. :)