RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 am 
Hawkeye

Jimbo357mag wrote:
I'm no expert but the way that primer pocket and case head is BLOWN OUT it sure looks like an overcharge. I'm sure Ruger would love to get that gun back to check it out. Be sure to ask for a mailer sent to you so you don't have to pay shipping. I doubt the ammo maker will do much for you, but I could be wrong. In any event I would go with Ruger first as they will make it right. Might need a whole new gun I would imagine.

Now I'm a little worried as I have several boxes of that ammo. :? :?

...Jimbo

Why should Ruger "make it right" if it's an overcharged factory round?

Enemy of the DEP
(Domestic Enemy Party, formerly known as the Democrat Party)

Firearms are freedom's teeth

#iwillnotcomplyfu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am 
Hawkeye

For good customer relations, if nothing else. The cost of a single gun is essentially nothing to them when considered against consumer opinion.

Granted, I wouldn't go at it from the standpoint of "you owe me something" but I'd certainly give Ruger the opportunity to express their concern.

JMHO

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:04 am 
Hunter

The two primers shown here show that the firing pin strike appears to be somewhat off center.

All of the primers on cartridges shown in the box appear to be centered. Or, very close to being centered.

Could it be that something happened to the timing? Did the bullet exit the revolver, or was it wedged between the forcing cone and the mouth of the cartridge case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 pm 
Bearcat

I'm glad you're alright, let's hope it's once in a lifetime.

I also shoot S&B in my GP100 :-((

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:00 pm 
Blackhawk

Perhaps a move to American made ammo is in order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:18 pm 
Hawkeye

All my ammo is American made. I make it myself. :wink:

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
Pres. John F. Kennedy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 pm 
Blackhawk

writwing wrote:
Perhaps a move to American made ammo is in order.

Not to be contentious (really), but if you shoot long enough you will get bad US rounds, too. I've had bad ammo from US makers. Everyone goofs once in a while, even if it is a long while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 pm 
Buckeye

Nothing said about the flash hole size :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 pm 
Hunter

My son had the same thing happen to him. He was shooting a .45 HK compact with CorBon ammo. Blew the mag out of the well, the slide came off the rails on one side so that it was cockeyed, but did not come off the frame. His hand was numb but otherwise unhurt. Not sure what he did first, but sent the gun to H&K and the ammo back to CorBon. Both claimed it wasn't their fault, but he got a new gun out of the deal.

Rest in Peace Robert Edward Pounds 10/02/46-08/27/08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:33 pm 
Hawkeye

Same thread is running on the "other" Ruger forum, and somebody there brought up something I had forgotten . . .

A couple of months ago, Ruger announced that they had shipped a certain number of GP-100's with improperly-heat-treated cylingers. We were advised to call them with serial numbers to discover if we had a "bad" one.

Looks like perhaps this could be one of them.

:shock: :roll: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:47 am 
Single-Sixer

That wouldnt explain the flash hole and primer pocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 pm 
Hunter

dmize wrote:

It might if the bullet was prevented from leaving the cartridge case. I'd be interested in seeing what the rest of that case looks like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm 
Single-Sixer

Hugh wrote:
dmize wrote:

It might if the bullet was prevented from leaving the cartridge case. I'd be interested in seeing what the rest of that case looks like.

When I first saw the origional post I was inclined to say it was obviously related to the ammunition and it still may well be that it was an ammunition problem. I'm just not sure after thinking this issue over.

Here is something that could have happened. I'm not saying it's what happened, just COULD be what happened.

A hairline crack in the wall of one chamber of the cylinder could have caused enough misalignment so on the next firing of that chamber the bullet was stopped or greatly restricted by the forcing cone. The pressure has to go somewhere. In this case back through the pimer pocket and out the side of the cylinder. An expert on metalurgy could determine this easily.

In my working career I've seen lots of fractured metal and quite a few times it was obvious from looking at a metal fracture that part of the break was old and dirty and part of the break was new and shiny. A catastrophic failure often starts with an earlier small fracture.

I sure would like to know more about this issue and how it gets resolved. At this point I'm thinking it could go either way.It could be ammunition related or an issue with the gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:38 pm 
Hunter

Captainjack, it could be that we are now thinking somewhat along the same line. In my earlier post I put the photograph of the last two expended cartridge cases just above what is presumably a photo of a box containing the rest of the expended cartridges from the reported shooting session.

The photo of the two cartridge cases shows the firing pin strike to be somewhat off center on each of those two. The box that presumably holds the other cartridge cases expended shows 26 primers, and it appears the firing pin strike was at, or too close to tell otherwise, the center of the primers. The primer of the cartridge case next to the case that is only partially exposed, appears to be somewhat off-center.

Based on my unprofessional examination of photographs of the cartridge cases and primers, I'm inclined to believe there is an issue with the revolver. I could be wrong though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm 
Hunter

I certainly no expert either, but maybe it was a combination of things.

My intial thought was an over pressure round. I mean, look at the case, the primer pocket; and the primer is completely gone. It looks an awful lot like an over pressure round I saw in a Remington rifle that blew the bolt. It was pistol powder instead of rifle powder in that instance.

You also see the other 2 cases shown above with the flattened primers, but more worrisome is the imprint of the rough casting marks from the revolver that are also clearly present on the base of the case and on the primers.

I still lean towards an over pressure round unless it can be shown the cylinder was off enough so that the bullet's flight from the case was impeded by the forcing cone/barrel alignment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next